IGNORED

Is this an eastern female box turtle?

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

SO how do you deal with snake relocation? less than 200' from a house it was found next to?

Not the one I caught the other day

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

30 minutes ago, Jerzguy2 said:

It is going to most likely die from moving it from its home range. They will wander until they die trying to go home.

I don't know about this ( if true, as kids with turtle pens we did a lot of harm), but as soon as the biologist go back to work, I'll check with the head turtle guy.

I was informed by my Rutgers wildlife professor that box turtles do indeed have innate homing .....but if they are relocated...and the new habitat is suitable or more suitable than previous home range....they may adapt to new area. 

17 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

less than 200' from a house it was found next to?

Yes.  When I move a venomous snake from someone's yard, that someone already lives in prime venomous snake habitat.  Moved snakes rarely return from where they were moved from, because they do not like being fucked (scientific term) with.  It happens, just rarely and I'll move it again.  Thankfully, most folks up this way are good about it and do not want to see them killed.  They know they live in suitable habitat and adjust, even folks with kids and outdoor pets.  

It's funny, most folks think that there are only two kinds of snakes:  rattlesnakes and copperheads so if they see any kind of snake it has to be one or the other.  That's also rarely the case and it's even pretty rare that I need to move one - they tend NOT to seek out human inhabited areas.  But just like I said earlier, there are outliers and it happens.

People who kill snakes are ignorant and arguing with them is like arguing with the 3 idiots who frequent this forum about politics.

That's all for now, heading out with the camera for the day.

1 minute ago, LittleM said:

Yes.  When I move a venomous snake from someone's yard, that someone already lives in prime venomous snake habitat.  Moved snakes rarely return from where they were moved from, because they do not like being fucked (scientific term) with.  It happens, just rarely and I'll move it again.  Thankfully, most folks up this way are good about it and do not want to see them killed.  They know they live in suitable habitat and adjust, even folks with kids and outdoor pets.  

It's funny, most folks think that there are only two kinds of snakes:  rattlesnakes and copperheads so if they see any kind of snake it has to be one or the other.  That's also rarely the case and it's even pretty rare that I need to move one - they tend NOT to seek out human inhabited areas.  But just like I said earlier, there are outliers and it happens.

People who kill snakes are ignorant and arguing with them is like arguing with the 3 idiots who frequent this forum about politics.

That's all for now, heading out with the camera for the day.

Thanks