wrmink

South Jersey Waterfowl n00b Here

Posted (edited)

Recently became interested in waterfowl/turkey/small game hunting over the winter.  Didn't get my gun til February and didn't get to take Hunters Ed until March, so I missed out on the waterfowl seasons.  Been reading up, watching videos, etc. like crazy, and can't wait to get out there.  Been in the turkey woods a lot.  Nothing yet, but I'm determined...

Anyway, waterfowl is what interests me most, and I'm already starting to think about the upcoming September Canada Goose season.  I was practicing on clay pigeons a lot before the lockdown, and I'll be back out there regularly as soon as things open back up.  What else does a new guy need to do to properly get prepared?  I don't know anyone who hunts, so unfortunately I don't have anyone to show me the ropes.  Any pointers are greatly appreciated.  Hell, I'd love to join in on some hunts this fall if anyone is willing to mentor a 30 year old who's never done it before. You'd receive beer and free decoy/blind/etc. set-up labor in return! 

Thanks in advance.  Cheers.

Edited by wrmink
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the site Mr. Mink.  

I'm on the opposite end of the state from you so I'm no help whatsoever.  Fortunately we have a lot of members down your way that are into waterfowl.  Best of luck with your journey.  

Edited by Rusty

Posted (edited)

Hey- welcome. Where are you located. I hunt waterfowl and upland Hard all season. PM me and we can connect. As long as you are safe- of course you can join me where I’m at. Always looking for guys to hunt with 

I can assist is deer/waterfowl/upland/big game/ small game- sorry turkey about all I don’t hunt. 

Edited by Hawkeye57
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Hey- welcome. Where are you located. I hunt waterfowl and upland Hard all season. PM me and we can connect. As long as you are safe- of course you can join me where I’m at. Always looking for guys to hunt with.

:up: :up:

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Hey- welcome. Where are you located. I hunt waterfowl and upland Hard all season. PM me and we can connect. As long as you are safe- of course you can join me where I’m at. Always looking for guys to hunt with 

I can assist is deer/waterfowl/upland/big game/ small game- sorry turkey about all I don’t hunt. 

I spend most of my time on LBI.  I shot you a PM.

Hey man, congrats on getting into the sport. Im in Manahawkin and hunt basically every day of coastal season. Im in the process of buying a boat but used to hunt out of my kayaks. PM me if you want to tag along.

• Like 2