IGNORED

Yellow warbler pics

9 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I was shooting that way for a while, but in low light found speed was dropping too low in changing light.  I rather have the speed right, and let the depth be what it is without going too high with the iso.  Have to be quick, with no time to adjust settings, so now I set the speed where I want it, keeping iso as low as I can with the aperture one or two stops above the lens minimum.  Like to keep iso 800 or less.  Once I set it so f stop doesn't blink in the least amount of available light, I'm ready to go.

Good way to do it. The only problem I had going this way was many times the light and colors were just not right because of too much speed for available light. The quality of higher ISO pics improved and with the 80D I get good quality even at ISO of 1000. However I take tons of pictures at low ISO at AV mode which lead to low speed shots

this one is a free hand shot at 1/125 with 40mm . It’s good to practice low light shots, like you practice being steady with your rifle on long shots,  since in my opinion the colors are at best when the sun starts setting 

3DA0AEC1-CE5A-452E-BAA9-3E2CAFF320BD.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

40mm .

Did you mean 400mm?  I am in an out of various light conditions at any given times - bright edge habitat to dark interior evergreen forests.  We are also always on the move, so I usually never have the opportunity to get a solid rest.  One of these days, I will bring a chair and just sit in a good spot and let the warblers come to me and see what happens.  All good tips, above, appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Good way to do it. The only problem I had going this way was many times the light and colors were just not right because of too much speed for available light. The quality of higher ISO pics improved and with the 80D I get good quality even at ISO of 1000. However I take tons of pictures at low ISO at AV mode which lead to low speed shots

this one is a free hand shot at 1/125 with 40mm . It’s good to practice low light shots, like you practice being steady with your rifle on long shots,  since in my opinion the colors are at best when the sun starts setting 

3DA0AEC1-CE5A-452E-BAA9-3E2CAFF320BD.jpeg

I set the exposure meter 1/3 stop underexposed, 2/3 with very bright light to get more color.  Cool light in the morning and evening is always the best for color. Golden ticket would be to have a very close set up and use the 100mm, or less.  A lot is lost with telephoto and cropping.  Very nice pic, belted kingfisher I presume.