IGNORED

Yellow warbler pics

13 minutes ago, LittleM said:

Great shots?  I tried all day and all mine were blurry.  What camera/lens do you use?

I like the shots you just put up.  I'm using a canon 300mm f/4 L with canon 1.4x TC.  Just went from a canon 7D to a 90D body. About doubled the MP.  Can crop them more now.  90D takes softer pics than the 7D did, but the luminar 4 editing program that I got with it fixes that.

That hardest thing in this type of photography is getting the correct speed for the available light. This is why I almost always shoot AV mode because the camera sets the speed automatically to the available light. If you don’t see enough speed just increase your ISO. How do you know you dont have enough speed? In general, on moving target, your speed should equal your zoom. So if you are using 400 mm lenses adjust your ISO, in AV mode, to get your speed to 1/400

4 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I get blurry pics too, either from camera shake, bird moving, or just missed the focal point.  Put camera on spot focus and spot metering, tv at 640 or faster.  Aim for the eyes

Most of of the time blurry picture comes from camera movement. I make sure I’m steady, like shooting a gun, become a tripod, lean agains something to move as little as possible. Shot in burst, taking several pics after you press the button cuz even pressing and release creates movement at low light 

18 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I like the shots you just put up.  I'm using a canon 300mm f/4 L with canon 1.4x TC.  Just went from a canon 7D to a 90D body. About doubled the MP.  Can crop them more now.  90D takes softer pics than the 7D did, but the luminar 4 editing program that I got with it fixes that.

I did not know, and just discovered, on D80, the auto focus works with 1.4 extender. It’s a game changer cuz I did not even use the thing since on the old cam it was manual focus. It has its problem since you get less light/speed and the f stop start at 8 but on sunny day it works great 

Edited by Lunatic

2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

That hardest thing in this type of photography is getting the correct speed for the available light. This is why I almost always shoot AV mode because the camera sets the speed automatically to the available light. If you don’t see enough speed just increase your ISO. How do you know you dont have enough speed? In general, on moving target, your speed should equal your zoom. So if you are using 400 mm lenses adjust your ISO, in AV mode, to get your speed to 1/400

I was shooting that way for a while, but in low light found speed was dropping too low in changing light.  I rather have the speed right, and let the depth be what it is without going too high with the iso.  Have to be quick, with no time to adjust settings, so now I set the speed where I want it, keeping iso as low as I can with the aperture one or two stops above the lens minimum.  Like to keep iso 800 or less.  Once I set it so f stop doesn't blink in the least amount of available light, I'm ready to go.

13 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I did not know, and just discovered, on D80, the auto focus works with 1.4 extender. It’s a game changer cuz I did not even use the thing since on the old cam it was manual focus. It has its problem since you get less light/speed and the f stop start at 8 but on sunny day it works great 

My f/4 goes to f/5.6 with the TC.  Little less clarity and more noise with the added glass.  I was shooting in rapid fire, but found I was moving after the first shot and just had more pics to delete. I'm good for one shot at a time in my old age.