ChrisS

Still waiting for my hunting license... ammo recommendations in the mean time?

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2020 at 11:49 PM, ChrisS said:

Wow! How do I get some pointers from you? 

I would get proficient with the 20 gauge first and then switch over to the 410. You may also want to try a modified choke instead of full but see how she shoots before you switch.  For turkeys with the 20 gauge 3 inch 4,5 or 6 lead shot in high brass should do the trick, like hunting any game, just be patient and wait for the right shot:up:

Edited by bucky
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, hunterbob1 said:

Hi Chris, once you have completed and have gotten a safety card you get a CID number 4 life. You are then in the computer database.yes then you may buy a license in any Walmart or Dicks or any State authorized agent or New Jersey division of fish and wildlife website. 👍

This sounds good- but when I went to the website it said I have to be a resident of PA to take the test. 

1 hour ago, ChrisS said:

This sounds good- but when I went to the website it said I have to be a resident of PA to take the test. 

Let me understand this. You live in New Jersey,and you wanted to obtain a Pennsylvania hunting license? It's so no can do. But if you have your New Jersey hunting license you can apply online to purchase a Pennsylvania hunting license through an authorized New Jersey issuer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hunterbob1 said:

Let me understand this. You live in New Jersey,and you wanted to obtain a Pennsylvania hunting license? It's so no can do. But if you have your New Jersey hunting license you can apply online to purchase a Pennsylvania hunting license through an authorized New Jersey issuer.

I live in NJ and am trying to obtain my hunting license but there are no tests due to Covid19. The online program that I completed is only the written portion of the NJ test.

It is my understanding that I still have to take the field day test. It seems that PA’s online test (And 44 other states) covers everything and gets you a hunters license immediately. 

I guess I’m back to waiting for Murphy to open things back up. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2020 at 7:45 PM, ChrisS said:

24 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

I live in NJ and am trying to obtain my hunting license but there are no tests due to Covid19. The online program that I completed is only the written portion of the NJ test.

It is my understanding that I still have to take the field day test. It seems that PA’s online test (And 44 other states) covers everything and gets you a hunters license immediately. 

I guess I’m back to waiting for Murphy to open things back up. 

Unfortunately yes son you're going to have to wait a little while longer.once you too loud for the state to hold the field test keep checking the site somebody will post a new New Jersey fish and wildlife will post it keep your head up 👍

Edited by hunterbob1

2 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Unfortunately yes son you're going to have to wait a little while longer.once you too loud for the state to hold the field test keep checking the site somebody will post a new New Jersey fish and wildlife will post it keep your head up 👍

Thanks Bob! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, ChrisS said:

Wow, you’re right - sorry for misleading you.  I did it just two months ago (1 day after COVID shutdowns) and it said you DID NOT need to be a PA resident, so I went ahead and did it.  Perhaps people have been taking advantage of this, so the rules have been changed.  Good luck!

EDIT: looks like you can take the WA one - https://www.hunter-ed.com/washington/faq/

Edited by wrmink

Howdy all. I’m still waiting to take my practical to get my license. In the meantime I figured I’d look into ammo for turkey and rabbit. 

I’ve got a Henry single shot 20g for turkey. It comes with a mod rem choke. I’m assuming right off the bat I should look for a full/turkey choke? It seems that TSS shells are highly recommended online. Anyone have any input on them or what you prefer? Midway has them available in 20g in both #7 and #9. 
As far as rabbit, I’ve got a Henry single shot in 410 that I would love to use. It’s got a full invector choke. Any info you guys may have would be more than welcome re: chokes and shells. 

Thank you all and hopefully I’ll be able to get out there at some point soon. 

You could take an out of state online test and use that to buy your NJ licenses if they don’t open up NJ Classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, SlugsnArrows said:

Wrong how?

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hntlicfe.htm

If you have a license from another state you don’t need to take NJ hunter Ed program.

Yes sir, agreed!.. back to topic. Original poster Chris has he done a field test yet. Therefore he was never issued as safety course card yet. Therefore he is not into the computer system and cannot buy a license in any of the lower 48 states.Period.!..

So take Ga online test.

Once passed.......

Buy a cheap small game tag.

Print it out.

Use that Ga Small Game Lic to buy your NJ License.

Then you don’t have to wait for NJ to open up classes or if they don’t there is your back door to get one.

8 minutes ago, SlugsnArrows said:

So take Ga online test.

Once passed.......

Buy a cheap small game tag.

Print it out.

Use that Ga Small Game Lic to buy your NJ License.

Then you don’t have to wait for NJ to open up classes or if they don’t there is your back door to get one.

That may be true. I do not know.If  It is? Well off the bat my gut reaction is it's skirting the law. My conscience forbids that. I want to walk with a clean six!