ChrisS

Still waiting for my hunting license... ammo recommendations in the mean time?

Howdy all. I’m still waiting to take my practical to get my license. In the meantime I figured I’d look into ammo for turkey and rabbit. 

I’ve got a Henry single shot 20g for turkey. It comes with a mod rem choke. I’m assuming right off the bat I should look for a full/turkey choke? It seems that TSS shells are highly recommended online. Anyone have any input on them or what you prefer? Midway has them available in 20g in both #7 and #9. 

As far as rabbit, I’ve got a Henry single shot in 410 that I would love to use. It’s got a full invector choke. Any info you guys may have would be more than welcome re: chokes and shells. 

Thank you all and hopefully I’ll be able to get out there at some point soon. 

• Like 2

Tss gets great reviews but is expensive.  Remember you would be restricted to 7a.  9a are not legal in nj.  Winchester long beard are great shells as well.  I get great patterns with long beard 6a and 5a with long beard choke. 

• Like 1

You don't need to buy the expensive stuff right off the bat. If money is no object, go for it. But honestly, people have been killing turkeys for a long time with simple 2 3/4" normal lead loads (I bet some guys on here are still doing it). So you don't have to go crazy with those $6+ per round turkey loads to be successful (remember, you will probably have to buy one or two extra boxes if you plan on patterning your gun with those loads at different distances - those boxes only come with 5 rounds each). I myself go with 12ga 3.5" #6 remington nitro turkey - I just like the big boom that you get with the 3.5" :) You can buy 20ga 3" remington nitro turkeys for $9 for a box of 10 - less than a dollar around (in other words, for about the price of two shells of TSS, you can buy a box of 10 of these - that's how expensive those TSS rounds are).

Turkey (extra full) chokes are nice - but if you get birds within close range, you don't even need to worry about that (in fact, such an extra tight choke will be a detriment if you are shooting at a bird at, say, 5 or 10 yards - I bet lots of misses are due to shooting at close-range turkeys with these extra-full turkey chokes). The tighter chokes let you get out a little further (40 yards or so) and still put pellets on the turkey's head. So this one is more than just about money - if you expect to only take shots at close-range birds (especially with a 20ga) you might consider a more open choke. If you want to be prepared to shoot at a Tom that is hung up and won't come closer than 40 yards, then a extra-full turkey choke would be a good choice.

As for rabbit hunting - good luck! In all the times I've been hunting for all kinds of game (even while squirrel hunting), I've come across a wild rabbit I think 2 maybe 3 times. IMO, you need to hunt with dogs to be successful and have fun with rabbit hunting. Rabbit hunting with a .410? I dunno about that - I don't have experience, but it would seem to me you need to spray some lead downrange to hit a fast-running rabbit. I don't know how good a .410 would be for rabbit hunting, but again, I don't have experience so maybe people do use those?

• Like 2

what they both said

I have been a small game hunter for over 50 years. Rabbits, squirrels, pheasants,quail, grouse, woodcock but never used a 410 even though I own a couple of them. Have not hunted rabbits for years, but you will be hard pressed to hit a running rabbit with a full choked 410. Your best bet with a 410 would only be if the rabbit is sitting or just hopping along slowly, but not likely to get many of those kinds of shots.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

You will have no problem killing small game with a .410, that's all I use for pheasants and rabbits shooting 4, 5 and 6 shot:up:

2066954941_2020bunny.jpeg.d840d8e48b0418746d097624a005a80c.jpeg

KIMG2142.thumb.jpeg.05445c849f71200f1309be3c57df531e.jpeg

Edited by bucky
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Hunted with a .410 for years and killed many rabbits, squirrels and pheasant. 

For turkey - Buy a couple different  rounds and see what your gun shoots best.  Find your maximum kill range and don't shoot farther.  

• Agree 1

On 5/10/2020 at 8:09 PM, bucky said:

You will have no problem killing small game with a .410, that's all I use for pheasants and rabbits shooting 4, 5 and 6 shot:up:

2066954941_2020bunny.jpeg.d840d8e48b0418746d097624a005a80c.jpeg

KIMG2142.thumb.jpeg.05445c849f71200f1309be3c57df531e.jpeg

Wow! How do I get some pointers from you? 

Wow! How do I get some pointers from you? 

You simply ask. There are many helpful hunters on this site that will take the time and legitimately try to answer questions for you. I’m 54 and still learn new stuff everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 12:16 PM, ChrisS said:

Howdy all. I’m still waiting to take my practical to get my license. In the meantime I figured I’d look into ammo for turkey and rabbit. 

I’ve got a Henry single shot 20g for turkey. It comes with a mod rem choke. I’m assuming right off the bat I should look for a full/turkey choke? It seems that TSS shells are highly recommended online. Anyone have any input on them or what you prefer? Midway has them available in 20g in both #7 and #9. 

As far as rabbit, I’ve got a Henry single shot in 410 that I would love to use. It’s got a full invector choke. Any info you guys may have would be more than welcome re: chokes and shells. 

Thank you all and hopefully I’ll be able to get out there at some point soon. 

I love my federal I use number 7 shot with a 3.5 inch shell it shot better then long beards by a mile but you just have to be prepared for the kick

• Like 1

Hey man, the same thing happened to me... I was scheduled to take the Hunters Ed field day on 3/14... then COVID shut everything down on 3/13!  I went to huntersed.com, took the PA course online, and then brought the certificate of completion from that to Walmart and purchased my NJ license.  The course cost $20, but I didn't want to wait because I wanted to get out for turkey season.  Pretty easy, though it takes a few hours.  Just a thought!

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 12:41 PM, wrmink said:

Hey man, the same thing happened to me... I was scheduled to take the Hunters Ed field day on 3/14... then COVID shut everything down on 3/13!  I went to huntersed.com, took the PA course online, and then brought the certificate of completion from that to Walmart and purchased my NJ license.  The course cost $20, but I didn't want to wait because I wanted to get out for turkey season.  Pretty easy, though it takes a few hours.  Just a thought!

I took the NJ test on hunterscourse.com and printed out the certificate of completion.  So if I take the PA test, I can go to a Walmart to get a NJ license? Could you give me a little more detail on that? Would I have to take a field test in PA?

Edited by ChrisS

38 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

I took the NJ test on hunterscourse.com and printed out the certificate of completion.  So if I take the PA test, I can go to a Walmart to get a NJ license? Could you give me a little more detail on that? Would I have to take a field test in PA?

Hi Chris, once you have completed and have gotten a safety card you get a CID number 4 life. You are then in the computer database.yes then you may buy a license in any Walmart or Dicks or any State authorized agent or New Jersey division of fish and wildlife website. 👍

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChrisS said:

No field test.  You can complete the full thing online (and evidently for 45 other states, NJ not included).  Since all states are reciprocal, you just take your proof of class completion to Walmart (or anyplace else that sells a license, though most places aren’t open right now), and you’ll be able to purchase a NJ license.  It was surprisingly simple.  No questions asked by the clerk, as the system is set up to accept out-of-state course info.  Once this happens, you’re in the system for life, and can purchase a new license online each year.

also, the link in my original post is wrong.  It’s Hunter-Ed.com.  It’s all IHEA-certified and fully supported by each state available on there.

Edited by wrmink
  • Like 2