Been eyeing this public land gobbler all season and Every time I get him Roosted, someone else is parked there in the morning. Last night I put him and a hen to bed and got there early this morning. Knowing that he's been pressured, I knew it was going to be a different game.

Being windy, I was able to get in as close as I dare and when daybreak came it was all soft talk.. Low tree yelps and light clicks. He never gobbled. Soon the hen pitched down in front of me and started looking for the 'hen'. He down to my right and out of sight. With the hen close by , no movement was made. A few tense minutes later I could hear walking in the leaves, a two step stride, it was a turkey or a human, since the hen was unlearned it had to be him. He came around the tree I was at and nearly stepped on my outstretched leg before him did a head jerk ,a slight putt and started to walk away. Once he passed behind a large tree I made my move. 

He was down before the sun was up and he never made a sound.  Public land birds are a whole different breed by mid season

0509200612a.jpg

• Like 18
  • Winner 2

Good job. I went out this morning and gave up by 8 or so, too windy.  

Way to go Mike! How cold was out there this am? Little did that gobbler know he would be more than cold but would be on ice this amLOL!

SS!

14 minutes ago, Shootstraight said:

Way to go Mike! How cold was out there this am? Little did that gobbler know he would be more than cold but would be on ice this amLOL!

SS!

I had 29° .  The doors of my truck were froze shut. Almost pulled the handle off.

Like I said before the season, these birds had NO idea what was in store for them up here! :rofl:

Well done again Mike! 

Nice job, you are a turkey mass murderer 

20 minutes ago, LPJR said:

Like I said before the season, these birds had NO idea what was in store for them.

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

• Agree 1