haggerty1616

Planting over Mulch

Hey guys, hope everyone's doing well. Have a question for the guys who have a bit more landscaping/grass growing experience than I.

I moved into a new home (to me) this past fall and a good portion of the backyard is covered in old mulch. I would like to plant grass in this area, but am unsure if putting top soil over the mulch and then planting would turn out well. Unfortunately, the other alternative would be to remove the old mulch (which is quite a bit), and I would have to dispose of it somewhere since I have nowhere else in my yard to put it. I would prefer option 1, but don't want to waste time and energy if that would not turn out well.

This is a DIY job so any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

I would dig into it to see what the earthworm situation looks like. Hopefully it's regular hardwood mulch, not the cheap crap made from ground up railroad ties and pallets. If it has a healthy worm population, it will enrich the soil, but I would rototiller it in, not just plant on top. 

• Agree 2

I will definitely take a look. Hoping the soil is decent because the surrounding areas in the yard have a good worm population.

Do you think just tilling it would work, or would a good solid layer of top soil on top work as well?

Depending on how thick and decomposed the mulch is you could rototill it into the soil. Then I would spread about 1/2" screened topsoil over the area and seed, fert, lime and hay.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The mulch if it is hopefully from a chipper will turn to top soil in a couple of years.  If thats what it is, till it if the pieces are big. If they are not then loosen the area if its compacted and plant your seed.  I had an area that was wood chips and planted seed after the chips broke down and have great grass.

If its not too thick then just put soil on top and seed........now is the time , seed will come up in 7 days or less.......

If you don't remove the mulch, if you till it in or spread topsoil on top, you will likely have non stop mushrooms growing out of it.