IGNORED

Henned up gobbler - wwyd

VFL

Had a henned up gobbler off the roost this morning in a field surrounded by woods. He was in full strut, following two hens in the middle of the field then the hens lead him into the woods (onto private) and out of sight. I had a Jake and hen decoy out. How would you go about calling? I tried calling the hens in but neither one was vocal. Anything you would’ve done differently?

Stayed put. Get rowdy every half hour to so, act like hens fighting...scratch at ground, flip your hat around to simulate wings, etc. Hens will usually get curious. They come to inspect, tom follows.

Had a near exact scenario play out like this today. Took a while for him to get within range but he eventually did.

Not much you can do. The decoys may be hurting you. If you can't get on private land & get in front of him, all you can do is what others have said, hope he comes back in for a look. Or go look for another bird that wants to play.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

10 hours ago, VFL said:

Had a henned up gobbler off the roost this morning in a field surrounded by woods. He was in full strut, following two hens in the middle of the field then the hens lead him into the woods (onto private) and out of sight. I had a Jake and hen decoy out. How would you go about calling? I tried calling the hens in but neither one was vocal. Anything you would’ve done differently?

Try to stage up infront of him