Fertilized our clover plots a couple weeks ago and there looking really good . We do have one plot with a grass problem that we sprayed last year with Arrest Max but it did nothing to it . It’s a very thin bladed grass . Going to hit it with Slay and see if that will do something plus it will take care of some broadleaf weeds also . 

312AAEDF-8B3D-4634-83B7-8D28E44D8FB4.jpeg

B9369F13-6513-48FF-B03C-54F51AB2F179.jpeg

627E8A5E-A7DA-4A91-89E3-6995CDE7FF1B.jpeg

• Like 8
36 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

Looks good Russ. What type of fertilizer you using?

Tom we went with a 0-0-60 with boron that the guys at the fertilizer supplier recommended . 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Great looking plots! The deer will be happy. 

As far as herbicide goes, did you mix crop oil or a surfactant with the arrest max? maybe buy some generic clethodim with and apply at a higher rate with above mentioned surfactant/crop oil. The crop oil/surfactant increases the herbicides ability to stick to weeds/grasses. Dish soap is a simple surfactant. 

Edited by MS22
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MS22 said:

As far as herbicide goes, did you mix crop oil or a surfactant with the arrest max? maybe buy some generic clethodim with and apply at a higher rate with above mentioned surfactant/crop oil. The crop oil/surfactant increases the herbicides ability to stick to weeds/grasses. Dish soap is a simple surfactant. 

Ive never done anything to clover except mow it and over seed it by frost seeding, late spring and fall. I dont even put fertilizer on it. I have read using crop oil / surfactant burns the clover a bit that some guys recommend dish soap instead just a little pia rinsing the sprayer.Even burning the clover a bit it will bounce back fairly quick    I may give mine a shot of fertizer to see if I can get it a little taller but even with out fertlizer the deer are in it every night all year long, gets browsed down to the dirt and it keeps coming back.  I dont think you could get better weather conditions for clover with the cool damp weather we have been getting. Everything is growing like crazy 

Edited by tcook8296
  • Like 1

I agree that mowing and consistent annual frost seeding of the plot would take care of the minimal amount of grass seeen in his plot. Clover should shade that stuff out quickly after a a haircut.

However, if he wants a chemical solution, crop oil or a surfactant (dish soap is a surfactant) added to the mix should help him get what he’s looking for if he hadn’t used it initially. I believe most clethodim products suggest using those in order to get better herbicide contact with the plant. Clover might get a little burnt but will bounce back quickly as long as you’re not doing this in the heat of the summer. This is the time to do it as grasses are growing and we have sufficient moisture/cool temps. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MS22 said:

Yes , we did use the crop oil with it actually twice . Other types of grass it worked on but not this one. There is still a ton of clover in there but this grass is spreading . Mowing is good weed control but does nothing to stop the spread of grass.

Clethodim 2e and non ionic surfactant. 2-3 weeks after you spray before you see results. Some grass will look alive but if you grab it, it falls apart. Forget using the nonsense from whitetail institute. It’s the same thing and 3 times the price for a 1/4 of the product. I use keystone pest solutions for all my chemicals. I just received an order in less then 48 hours from time order was placed 

• Like 1

Also with no surfactant the cleth is useless. Also if the grass is really a sedge then hit the plot with reduced rate of glyphosate. It will not kill the clover. It will knock it back a bit for a few weeks but it will bounce back. 

• Like 1