IGNORED

Slabalicious!!!

Bonefreak

16 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

Very nice little boy you have BF.   Starting him off the right way.  

Thanks Strat!!

Good kid!!

He watched me filet em up n didnt get grossed out, asked some good science based questions bout why fish was still moving from its nerves, n held open the zip lock bag while saying "thats some good meat!"

His lil pals down the street prolly wud have yacked n ran home n told their parents im a fish murderer!  Lol

I have heard that crappie do not live up to their name.  I live so close to Spruce Run but I have yet to get a canoe or kayak wet there to fish.  Hmmm...

Questions to guys who regularly find success catching g crappie:

What rig would you recommend for Crappie - will regular trout/spinners work or is there another kind of lure that is better for these?  Would a jig like a trout magnet work or again would I need to get a different kind?  What baits are effective?  What times have worked best for you - morning, midday,evening,night,anytime?

33 minutes ago, madeinuk said:

I have heard that crappie do not live up to their name.  I live so close to Spruce Run but I have yet to get a canoe or kayak wet there to fish.  Hmmm...

Questions to guys who regularly find success catching g crappie:

What rig would you recommend for Crappie - will regular trout/spinners work or is there another kind of lure that is better for these?  Would a jig like a trout magnet work or again would I need to get a different kind?  What baits are effective?  What times have worked best for you - morning, midday,evening,night,anytime?

Now is the time....dogwoods are in bloom....they are coming into the shallows to spawn....usually near some shallow cover like weeds, stumps, brush piles, etc.

Can't beat small minnows under a bobber with between 3-4 ft of line between minnow n bobber...small split shot near minnow so he doesn't swim to surface. 

If no minnows available....small jigs like trout magnets n such under a bobber are good too!  I tip jig w a minnow if I got em as well!

They could be deeper than what u can effectively fish w a bobber.....so i will also throw a small jig or mini swim bait n let it sink deeper till I find em. 

If they are biting....any time of day seems good. 

Not sure what they are eating....but the necropsy from the other day only showed a green pumpkin colored mushy substance in their stomaches....likely some micro aquatic zoo plankton stuff.....but makes sense why i got a few on a green pumpkin colored mini swim bait!

Water temp was 57 degrees....so they shud be in shallow for the next few wks.....for spawn before retreating to their deeper, off shore haunts!

In-Fishermen fellas usually have a nice scientific approach to angling and heres an article they put together on crappie spawn....

Good luck!!

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/crappie-spawn-slabs/155604

Screenshot_20200505-143511_Chrome.jpg

23 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Now is the time....dogwoods are in bloom....they are coming into the shallows to spawn....usually near some shallow cover like weeds, stumps, brush piles, etc.

Can't beat small minnows under a bobber with between 3-4 ft of line between minnow n bobber...small split shot near minnow so he doesn't swim to surface. 

If no minnows available....small jigs like trout magnets n such under a bobber are good too!  I tip jig w a minnow if I got em as well!

They could be deeper than what u can effectively fish w a bobber.....so i will also throw a small jig or mini swim bait n let it sink deeper till I find em. 

If they are biting....any time of day seems good. 

Not sure what they are eating....but the necropsy from the other day only showed a green pumpkin colored mushy substance in their stomaches....likely some micro aquatic zoo plankton stuff.....but makes sense why i got a few on a green pumpkin colored mini swim bait!

Water temp was 57 degrees....so they shud be in shallow for the next few wks.....for spawn before retreating to their deeper, off shore haunts!

In-Fishermen fellas usually have a nice scientific approach to angling and heres an article they put together on crappie spawn....

Good luck!!

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/crappie-spawn-slabs/155604

Screenshot_20200505-143511_Chrome.jpg

Thank you sir!

8 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Thanks Strat!!

Good kid!!

He watched me filet em up n didnt get grossed out, asked some good science based questions bout why fish was still moving from its nerves, n held open the zip lock bag while saying "thats some good meat!"

His lil pals down the street prolly wud have yacked n ran home n told their parents im a fish murderer!  Lol

Ah yes.  Totally understand the not "grossed out" part. 

I remember as a lad field dressing a deer with my dad the 1st time and aside from the smell I thought it was quite interesting, especially after he explained why it needed to be done immediately to avoid spoiling the meat by cooling it quickly.   I learned to have a lot of respect for the fish and animals I harvested after that. 

My non-hunting friends came over didn't understand why a deer was hanging in our garage.  I thought, "What are you talking about, don't you hunt with your dad?  Seemed so normal to me lol.