IGNORED

2 completely different Trout sessions on the Musky

JHbowhunter

The Musky’s best hatch comes mid May which is the sulphur mayflies. Late afternoon and evening and often until dark once the hatch begins. And it last for weeks between the difference species that are called sulphurs.   That’s when dry fly fishing is at its peak for that river. 

Edited by Bucksnbows

5 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Great first day trying fly fishing. Having the Fly Master does helps a lot but I know how you fish or hunt and you learn and would pick it up quick. Awesome big ugly Bow and to get that one for your first is crazy. Congrats :up:

Jack fly fished back when he was 16, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did.  I barely had to tell him how to mend.  Knowing how to "read the water" is key to all styles of fishing, and Jack is an accomplished angler using many other types of gear.  I know that the 3 he landed with fly rod over maybe 3 hours were more fun than the 20 or so he caught on spin rod in an hour or less at a stocking point upstream.  Looks like I moved another one to the dark side.........

:flyfish:

30 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Does "ugly stick" make a fly rod?  I need something that won't break LOL...

Part of embracing the snobbery is getting a new fly rod with a lifetime warranty against any breakage, even if the car door was the cause of the breakage.  :)  

5 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Part of embracing the snobbery is getting a new fly rod with a lifetime warranty against any breakage, even if the car door was the cause of the breakage.  :)  

I have to have warranties I am a little tough on my stuff.

5 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

I have broke more rods than I care to remember :eyebrow:

One.  My then favorite Sage 9 foot 5 weight in the truck at the time.  Sage replaced the tip section that I had broken and I had the rod out and back to Washington state in 5 days.  There's a good reason why rods cost so much that have lifetime warranties.  

38 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

One.  My then favorite Sage 9 foot 5 weight in the truck at the time.  Sage replaced the tip section that I had broken and I had the rod out and back to Washington state in 5 days.  There's a good reason why rods cost so much that have lifetime warranties.  

I was kidding LOL Broke only a couple and not fly rods. When I got my switch rod I bought two tips, I figured I would hit something hard with the longer length rod LOL. So what did you have Jack fishing with anyway?

AWM

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

Yes the sage 9ft also have a 7 or 7 1/2  3wt. I'm strictly a nymph or woolly bugger can't master the dry flies.

18 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

The Musky’s best hatch comes mid May which is the sulphur mayflies. Late afternoon and evening and often until dark once the hatch begins. And it last for weeks between the difference species that are called sulphurs.   That’s when dry fly fishing is at its peak for that river. 

I am prolly going to take a week off late May just to fish this.  I have spent too many Mays watching dorotheas and invarias flying past my home office window.    The ‘Rona’ lockdown is giving me a bad case of cabin fever.

The good flows over the past 3 years have really scoured the river bottom of the gill clogging fine silt that is so unhealthy for invertebrates.  I can see rocks now where previously I just saw mud.  

I am hoping that the hatches really improve in the future.  Ideally sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, MGHunter66 said:

I was kidding LOL Broke only a couple and not fly rods. When I got my switch rod I bought two tips, I figured I would hit something hard with the longer length rod LOL. So what did you have Jack fishing with anyway?

I had him use my Grey's 8 1/2 foot 4 weight four piece rod and a Hatch reel overlined to 5 weight.  Loads great on smaller NJ streams where you don't often backcast.  It rolls out line well, and Jack mastered the roll cast quickly.  Most times I have newer fly anglers out, they forget to roll cast and lift the fly(s) out of the water and send them to the trees behind them.  That may have happened once with our favorite site owner.  :)