ChrisS

Is anyone a contractor here?

Do yourself a favor and call a public adjuster they will get you much much more than the insurance company will want to give out. Ask me how I know. I had my neighbors tree fall on my house. The adjuster got them to pay for things that I would of not thought of fixing. And the insurance company is less inclined to deny an adjusters repair request. Sure they take a fee usually 10% but its well worth it. 

NJpublic Adjusters is who I used . His name is Jeff Hall . Great guy

6 hours ago, MightyOak said:

If you think about it on average it takes 30 min get to a estamate , a hour to go over job with home owner , 30 min back , fuel , 20 min to write up estamate email, a phone call with insurance company . Yes a contractor's time is wearth something. I done it for free to loyal customers and charge cold calls $150-$200 . Had many times through the years homeowner keep insurance check and never did work. My 2-1/2 hours is as valuable as the next guys.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm a plumber.  A few months back I had a local homeowner want a water heater replaced.  Non emergency, just old.  I did an estimate, they agreed to price for that and some other work.  I file for permit, pay for permit ($102).  I was busy and it wasn't an emergency so I didn't schedule to do the job right away.  In the interim they shop my price around and find it cheaper from someone else.  They refuse to reimburse me for the permit fee.  So I wasted my time and was out the permit fee.  These were people I've worked for before.  Some people think stealing from a contractor is okay, while they would never steal from any other business.

5 minutes ago, bnknj said:

I'm a plumber.  A few months back I had a local homeowner want a water heater replaced.  Non emergency, just old.  I did an estimate, they agreed to price for that and some other work.  I file for permit, pay for permit ($102).  I was busy and it wasn't an emergency so I didn't schedule to do the job right away.  In the interim they shop my price around and find it cheaper from someone else.  They refuse to reimburse me for the permit fee.  So I wasted my time and was out the permit fee.  These were people I've worked for before.  Some people think stealing from a contractor is okay, while they would never steal from any other business.

You can go to your local PD and recoup your money and then some!

https://www.newjerseycriminallawattorney.com/theft-crimes/theft-of-services/

Estimates/quotes are part of the business. Not only we do it for free but most of the time we need to pay for plans and specs on government jobs. This part is very hard on small contractors who are the owners and actually are in the field doing the work. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Estimates/quotes are part of the business. Not only we do it for free but most of the time we need to pay for plans and specs on government jobs. This part is very hard on small contractors who are the owners and actually are in the field doing the work. 

Not always what you know but who you know.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:02 AM, roy381 said:

Do yourself a favor and call a public adjuster they will get you much much more than the insurance company will want to give out. Ask me how I know. I had my neighbors tree fall on my house. The adjuster got them to pay for things that I would of not thought of fixing. And the insurance company is less inclined to deny an adjusters repair request. Sure they take a fee usually 10% but its well worth it. 

NJpublic Adjusters is who I used . His name is Jeff Hall . Great guy

Thanks, Roy. I’ve got two estimates coming this week, but I’m going to look into the Adjusters. I listed the job on Home Advisor and got calls from 5 or 6 contractors. Picked the two with the best ratings. 

On 4/26/2020 at 8:31 PM, 3Blade said:

:agree:

I'm also a contractor (masonry) and yep, people have no problem wasting my time.  Once they tell me it's for insurance or a real estate transaction, I tell them it's $150 and I will treat as a deposit if I get the job. That usually weeds out the time wasters real quick.

I did the same thing when I had my business. They ask for estimates but don't intend  to hire anyone and do the work themselves. 

• Like 1

I did the same thing when I had my business. They ask for estimates but don't intend  to hire anyone and do the work themselves. 

Maybe they do the work themselves because the cost is out of their budget. After all, some people don't run their budgets like the NJ government does aka spend spend spend. Or maybe they just didn't care for the way the contractor presented themself; I've met a few contractors who I wouldn't go with even if they had the cheapest quote.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, yoda4x4 said:

Maybe they do the work themselves because the cost is out of their budget. After all, some people don't run their budgets like the NJ government does aka spend spend spend. Or maybe they just didn't care for the way the contractor presented themself; I've met a few contractors who I wouldn't go with even if they had the cheapest quote.

David

I'm not questioning anyone's decision for whatever reason. Just telling you my experience.

If it's an insurance estimate, what does it have to do with a "budget"?

I'm not questioning anyone's decision for whatever reason. Just telling you my experience.
If it's an insurance estimate, what does it have to do with a "budget"?
I never said anything about insurance. I'll give you one example of something that happened to me.

Several months ago when we were getting rain almost daily, I had water leaking into my basement. I contacted a company to give me a quote, and in all honesty, I had no idea what it was going to cost. Well the guy came in, did his work, and the quote was over $10k. I can't afford that so I thanked him for his time, and flat out told him I couldn't afford it. Did I feel bad that he didn't get the business... Not at all. His quote exceeded the amount I could pay.

David

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

I never said anything about insurance. I'll give you one example of something that happened to me.

Several months ago when we were getting rain almost daily, I had water leaking into my basement. I contacted a company to give me a quote, and in all honesty, I had no idea what it was going to cost. Well the guy came in, did his work, and the quote was over $10k. I can't afford that so I thanked him for his time, and flat out told him I couldn't afford it. Did I feel bad that he didn't get the business... Not at all. His quote exceeded the amount I could pay.

David

Yeah, you were not but I responded to a post that did mention insurance. Just a little misunderstanding here. I agree with everything you say. 

• Like 1

I have always gone with the contractor that earns my business. Usually it is the contractor that does a free estimate sometimes not if they come highly regarded. 

Can tell you how much I spend on trying to get work that the person then does not follow through. it sucks but part of doing business. (I'm not in contracting so wont pretend to know what I am talking about with insurance).

On 4/26/2020 at 5:47 PM, ChrisS said:

Thanks for the insight. I’ve reached out to a few  places close to me. Waiting to hear back from two, the third wants $200 just to come to the house, only reimbursable if I go with him. 

Obviously he is on crack.

Personally, I would never call a contractor who charged for an estimate. I have had a lot of work done in 26 years in this house. I had one contractor replace all the windows, siding and roofs with gutters,etc.  That was my only quote as I was satisfied with the price and the expectations we both agreed upon. 

I had both of my porches replaced and also the foundation stucco with color to go with the new siding. I did get three estimates and went with the middle estimate because again we agreed on expectations and was given that in writing. 

My kitchen I went with the highest bidder because of his track record and they did everything from remodels to additions. Again had everything in writing right down to every last detail including when payments were due as work completed. 

So, someone would never get my business if they charged for estimates. If I am going to spend 25-50 thousand with someone, I am going to make sure it meets what my expectations are at the end.  

So to those that do charge- is it only for those with insurance claims or everyone? I understand the point of not wanting to waste time for something you more than likely won't be getting under contract. But do you feel the same way when someone else feels that another contractor meets their needs better? 

2 hours ago, deadonshot2 said:

So to those that do charge- is it only for those with insurance claims or everyone? I understand the point of not wanting to waste time for something you more than likely won't be getting under contract. But do you feel the same way when someone else feels that another contractor meets their needs better? 

Yes, only for insurance claims and real estate transactions otherwise it is free. The only time I will not charge for an insurance claim is if it's for a customer I have done work for and have a relationship with.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1