IGNORED

Anyone fishing the Musconetcong?

_X7

9 hours ago, Kype said:

i never could understand why guys will stand on the bridge to fish. you need to be in the water to fish not reeling up a fish 20 feet up a bridge. the water above the dam is real slow. i have not fished it yet. but i always see cars parked at the bridge right past browns truck shop and cars parked under the 78 over pass. i was fishing below the dam to finesville. made a few trips from finesville to the deleware.  the river has trout all over the place. hoping to get out this weekend

if you fish bloomsbury bring your camera. i have seen multiple bald eagles and a golden eagle. the golden is huge. and of course woodies, mallards, geese, ducklings etc...its a nice area to live in. 

and remember, my driveway is open. 

Which driveway is yours?

We had permission at the last house before the concrete bridge before 78 and the big yellow house next to it on the 173 side. PM me. As it is now the easier for me the better.

Edited by _X7

I was up there Sunday. Looked for access near Stephen's as I love it up that way.w not much luck  Had to go in behind Lowes. Less than impressive stretch. I need a better access point. Did OK, hit the Pequest too. Caught a few at each spot we hit. Filled the smoker again last night w a limit I got close to me

1 hour ago, Sako76 said:

I live in Asbury, the Musky is right behind my house, about a 1/2 mile! 

I'm on School St in Asbury.   I like to walk from the Asbury bridge up to the Hampton bridge on the nature trail.  Haven't gotten out there this year yet, though.

There are about 46,000 brand new stockies in the Musky, the most of any stocked river in the state.  At 42 miles in length, it has tons of accessible water.  It has been lights out fishing for obvious reasons and there seem to be a lot of holdover fish the last two years which I attribute to good or at least better flows. 

BTW, the Bloomsbury Mill dam was supposed to be removed at some point this year.  To date it has not gone out to bid by the US Army Corps who is overseeing that removal.   

I live on the Musky.  Opening day was pretty good, but I couldn't catch anything after that.  Keep in mind I am a lousy fisherman and I was only using spinners.  Monday late afternoon was good and I caught a nice hold over that became dinner.  I am about a mile or so up from changewater.

2 hours ago, Sharpdogs said:

I live on the Musky.  Opening day was pretty good, but I couldn't catch anything after that.  Keep in mind I am a lousy fisherman and I was only using spinners.  Monday late afternoon was good and I caught a nice hold over that became dinner.  I am about a mile or so up from changewater.

Fish the bridge at Changewater and you will do great.  Both up and downstream of that bridge.  Try pink salmon eggs if you're not doing anything with the spinners.  And that's from a dry fly, catch and release purist fly fishing snob.  :)    

I did some recon last Sunday on the Musky and it was Packed !! I wouldn’t even stop anywhere to fish there were so many people. I drove almost the whole length and stopped at one small section that still had way too many people. Tried it for a little and left. River was in great shape but I felt like I was in Pulaski during salmon season. 

40 minutes ago, OMC said:

I did some recon last Sunday on the Musky and it was Packed !! I wouldn’t even stop anywhere to fish there were so many people. I drove almost the whole length and stopped at one small section that still had way too many people. Tried it for a little and left. River was in great shape but I felt like I was in Pulaski during salmon season. 

I did the same thin last Sunday and it was packed, I finally stopped at the state property in Asbury and picked up a 19" Brown

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

Fish the bridge at Changewater and you will do great.  Both up and downstream of that bridge.  Try pink salmon eggs if you're not doing anything with the spinners.  And that's from a dry fly, catch and release purist fly fishing snob.  :)    

I played in a band that practiced near Changewater and stopped many times to fish. Always did pretty well

Didn't get out today as I had hoped. Forgot about yet another visit to the doctor. Never got the reminder. They called this morning to ask where I was. Turned into an all day affair as they changed my time to this afternoon.... Tomorrow it will be.

The Musky was on fire yesterday afternoon where I fished.  Luckily, I only caught one fresh stockie that swam down from one of the bridge dumps upstream.  All remaining fish were very nice holdover club fish (Kamloops rainbows).  I hooked more big fish in an hour than I do in most entire months of fishing.  That was followed up with dry fly action to small BWOs later like around 5pm.  But nymphing was dynamite for the pre-hatch time I was there.  I even broke off big fish and didn't care it was that good.  But this is too far away from parking and stocking locations to ever get any attention.  I find the best fishing ALWAYS is where you get away from all other anglers. 

That said, every stocking point I passed was absolutely a mad house yesterday.  Why would you fish one hole for hours standing shoulder to shoulder when you can have a mile of water without another soul, holdover fish that have been in the river at least since fall and most a year or more, and that fight much closer to wild trout than Pequest mutants?    

I have a quiet stretch I have fished since I was a young kid .

its a long walk in and out but it gets little foot traffic as there is very little bank access .

like you said it keeps the fishing fun .

used to be unreal a long time ago when they still did federal stockings 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/