IGNORED

Lightweight Rain Gear

Stan Putz

Lightweight- I carry a couple 55gl contractors trash bags, cut a hole in the side at the bottom of the bag and flip it over myself in a sudden downpour.   For all day light rain I have cabelas guide series set that has lasted 12+ years and is on the light side.  Winter I have a cabelas insulated parka set that's pretty light,  warm, waterproof, and sheds water better and longer than the thinner guide series.  If you have a ton of money there is Sitka and Firstlite stuff.

the only solution to your proposed question is Gore-tex. You will pay for it but only material that will be light, breathable, 100% waterproof, and durable. any gore will work but no matter the company- it will cost money. 

Whatever you do- dont try it out- bc you will never go back to cheap rain gear again!

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

the only solution to your proposed question is Gore-tex. You will pay for it but only material that will be light, breathable, 100% waterproof, and durable. any gore will work but no matter the company- it will cost money. 

Whatever you do- dont try it out- bc you will never go back to cheap rain gear again!

There is new technology out there used by high end manufacturers with much lighter fabric and much better performance and actually water prof  not just resistant like goretex. In heavy downpour you will get wet in goretex

dont get me wrong goretex is good, I have a set, but there are other and imo better options. The only problem the news stuff if VERY expensive. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

What type of hunting?

Turkey hunting or deer. I have a good PVC rain suit for fishing, but it's bulky, hot, and will probably shred in briars. I don't mind getting a little drenched if I'm walking, just not much into sitting in the rain. I own pop-up blinds, but they aren't always an option.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

31 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

There is new technology out there used by high end manufacturers with much lighter fabric and much better performance and actually water prof  not just resistant like goretex. In heavy downpour you will get wet in goretex

dont get me wrong goretex is good, I have a set, but there are other and imo better options. The only problem the news stuff if VERY expensive. 

Qualtitg GORE is waterproof lol. I have used my delta jacket in COMPLETE downpour while on a boat and bone dry when back at dock. Yes there are others. Kuiu uses Toray Dermizax NX which is great. I have had their stuff. thats why I asked what type of hunting. the only real benefit to the other material out there is breathability. BUT with GORE you have way more camo options as most companies work with GORE. 

splitting hairs here.

If you look at OP follow-up- GORE is your solution. I have some baselayer KUIU just not fan of their camo pattern. Price of KUIU Toray Dermizax NX  and Sitka gore are about same if I remember right. been while since I bought KUIU.