7 minutes ago, BIG PAT said:

Why not legal

*shrug* Dunno. But they are protected in NJ, and from what I can see, has been this way since at least 1949 based on the date I see in the NJ Fish and Game statute.

Here's the text of the law:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2014/title-23/section-23-4-53

23:4-53. Wild pigeons protected; penalty
Any provision of law or of the State Fish and Game Code to the contrary notwithstanding, no person shall capture, kill, injure or have in possession, living or dead, or attempt to capture, kill or injure, a wild or passenger pigeon, or destroy or interfere in any manner with the nest or eggs of a wild or passenger pigeon, under a penalty of two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) for each offense.

"Doves" are the same as pigeons from what I understand, and the NJ Hunting Digest specifically says their season is closed also:

Page 26 of the NJ Hunting Digest:

Closed Seasons: There is no hunting or trapping season for bobcat, fisher, mourning dove, ruffed grouse, sandhill crane and king rail in New Jersey. See Protected Wildlife, page 28.

8 hours ago, Mixbaghunter said:

So when i put them out for dog training.  I guess I am breaking the law

I don't think pigeons hatched, raised, and sold for dog training are considered "wild" or "passenger" pigeons, so no that is not breaking that Title 23 statue mentioned above (that law only concerns wild or passenger - I don't even know how you know something is a passenger pigeon unless it has a little note attached to its leg :))

8 hours ago, Mixbaghunter said:

So when i put them out for dog training.  I guess I am breaking the law

"(f) Pigeons may be used for dog training. However, the shooting of pigeons for dog training is prohibited."

In all my dogs, I dont think I ever shot or saw someone shoot a pigeopn- always used for steadyness only. 

49 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I don't even know how you know something is a passenger pigeon unless it has a little note attached to its leg :))

It has a band attached to it's leg.  People raise them and enter them in pigeon races.  It's also why pigeons can't be hunted.  There is no way of knowing if a pigeon is wild or banded before you shoot it. They also aren't listed as a game animal.  If anything isn't listed as a game animal you can't shoot it.  There are some exceptions.

Edited by nickmarch

I believe banded pigeons are carrier or homing  pigeons. Passenger pigeon refers to an extinct species that had flocks so large that they went on for miles. Market hunting for their feathers caused their extinction early in the 20th century.  

Edited by hvnj
Content