IGNORED

Striper Spawn Raritan River

Mink

i wonder how far up the millstone river they go after the fish ladder near zarapath. i have only fished the millstone river a handful of times. but good pickeral fishing there. 

blackwells mills area? it very prone to flooding. some times the canal and river meet each other.

19 hours ago, Kype said:

i wonder how far up the millstone river they go after the fish ladder near zarapath. i have only fished the millstone river a handful of times. but good pickeral fishing there. 

blackwells mills area? it very prone to flooding. some times the canal and river meet each other.

I've caught them a little further upstream of that, the obstruction at Blackwells Mill isn't that high and if there's high water strong fish can navigate it.

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting

On 4/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, FLDBRED-BDC said:

Brian

That's not an easy question to answer and there have been many heated debates over it . Not that long ago the fish biologist said no, despite people catching small stripers as far up river as the fish could go at the time. The DNA test at the time showed that these fish were from the "tribes" that originated in the Hudson and Delaware . That being said, with the removal of the dams in recent years that all could of changed . I think it's time for updated research.

Yeah, I have to believe there is successful spawning in the Raritan River.  The water quality is much better than the hideous lower Delaware by Philly which striped bass, shad and river herring successfully get through each year to spawn in the upper Delaware River.  The remnant dam removal project my company did last October on the lower Lamington River was in part to aid spawning bass and shad once Duke Island Park dam is removed or altered significantly.  

53 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Yeah, I have to believe there is successful spawning in the Raritan River.  The water quality is much better than the hideous lower Delaware by Philly which striped bass, shad and river herring successfully get through each year to spawn in the upper Delaware River.  The remnant dam removal project my company did last October on the lower Lamington River was in part to aid spawning bass and shad once Duke Island Park dam is removed or altered significantly.  

Do not forget about the dam above route 202 in Branchburg, that one will also need to go:up:

Ah, that wonderful pipe across the river in Branchburg ! Slipped off that on the first day of trout season after attempting  to cross behind all the adults fishing off it when I was about 13.  As I hung on to the pipe with my hip boots floating, the wonderful guy standing there reached down and pulled me up. Otherwise I might not be writing this now.

My younger brother caught a small one up about as far as they could go, above Raritan

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

making it a wing dam would be nice. 

5 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Does anyone have a name for this dam?  I can see it just above route 202 bridge.  Looks to be yet another obsolete dam that needs to be pulled out.    

i dont know of a name. bucky might know. its a small dam for sure. if i remember correctly one of the home owners has a concrete dock attached to the dam. i think. 

No name,we called it the dam when we were kids..haha There is also a Hydrologic Unit on the left side of the dam looking up stream from 202. If your'e ever in the area just look upstream from the bridge its only about 200 yards away

Edited by bucky

1 hour ago, Kype said:

i dont know of a name. bucky might know. its a small dam for sure. if i remember correctly one of the home owners has a concrete dock attached to the dam. i think. 

There was a concrete slab above the dam which was remnants of an old summer cottage, now a new house sits in its place