IGNORED

Turkey shot placement - Archery

Russ 11

I do not like the three “broadside” locations.  They seem to be slightly forward and low for my taste.  Most guys will end up gravitating toward the breast if aiming here and will result in a lost bird.  I definitely always aim a little further back and higher.  A perfect body shot will ruin NO breast meat.  I like to hit them right in the wing butt (or slightly higher or back) on a broadside bird.  I big mechanical and NO pass through will anchor them all the time.  Even perfect shots can result in difficult recoveries when a pass through occurs.

3 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I do not like the three “broadside” locations.  They seem to be slightly forward and low for my taste.  Most guys will end up gravitating toward the breast if aiming here and will result in a lost bird.  I definitely always aim a little further back and higher.  A perfect body shot will ruin NO breast meat.  I like to hit them right in the wing butt (or slightly higher or back) on a broadside bird.  I big mechanical and NO pass through will anchor them all the time.  Even perfect shots can result in difficult recoveries when a pass through occurs.

Ronnie if possible could you put a dot on those broadside pics where you believe the correct aim point should be ? 

This is where I would be shooting these birds for a high percentage shot.  The original point of aims are all kill shots but basically into the base of the neck.  You would have a better an easier aim point if you just shot the bird in the bare head or neck.  The vitals are small no matter how you look at it so sometimes a head shot is easiest for a solid aim point.  More times than not the head is still and turkeys do not react to the sound of a bow like a deer does.

C4C5A38C-E27D-4281-BFCA-545AF8102BCB.jpeg

1 hour ago, archer36 said:

Isn't the third one called a "Texas Heart Shot". 

I have to give you Archery Turkey Hunters a lot of credit. 

Never had enough turkeys and hunted enough to want to try it.

Rather use the long range sure thing. LOL

Archery maybe actually better long range than your SG.

I would aim even a little different . Ron is aiming on high side a little . ( old adage shoot em high watch em die)’

since I shoot 98% of my turkeys under 10 yards they are chip shots to hit these dots .

I use the beard and color change on the bird  back as one axis , straight up the leg the other .

the wing butt shot shown on original would put a bird right down ,but leaves little room for error.

texas heart shot , bird is slightly angled , I  would only take that shot on bird going straight away .

D1739C7F-E5DD-494E-90F5-36D95C8DD8AF.jpeg

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

A great way to understand the body and vitals is to check out full body mount forms from a taxidermy supply catalog.  While hunting, I pay particular attention to the legs and the different types of feathers on the wing and their position to determine where the vitals are.  DO NOT shoot for the center of the bird or “black” or it will result in a lost bird everytime!