Lunatic

Did you see the moon tonight?

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

Really great shots Lunatic!!  

Thanks

Just now, Greybeard said:

Nice!  It was too cloudy up here.

I got lucky. I put a 1.4 extender on my 400mm lens and shot it resting it on my mailbox:-) (If it wasn't digital it would make it 560 mm but with digital it is even more but I don;t know exactly)

Thanks

• Like 1

It's probably a 1.6 cropped sensor.  So 400 x 1.6 = (   ) x 1.4

My 300 with 1.4 tc comes out to 420mm.  Is that your 100-400 zoom or do you also have a 400 prime?

6 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

It's probably a 1.6 cropped sensor.  So 400 x 1.6 = (   ) x 1.4

My 300 with 1.4 tc comes out to 420mm.  Is that your 100-400 zoom or do you also have a 400 prime?

Your 300 with 1.4 gives you more than 420MM. I read it somewhere there is a conversion for digital, so its not as simple as in case of 35mm camera  of 300x1.4, it ens up being more.

100- 400 zoom.

7 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Wow!  I thought it was impressive looking at it with the naked eye!  Those shots are fantastic.  This is a great site for moon phase information, etc...  The moon was 100% full last night:

https://www.moongiant.com/phase/04/08/2020 

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Your 300 with 1.4 gives you more than 420MM. I read it somewhere there is a conversion for digital, so its not as simple as in case of 35mm camera  of 300x1.4, it ens up being more.

100- 400 zoom.

Correct.  I did something wrong figuring mine.  It would be 672 mm for mine using the formula.  896mm for 400mm lens.  I think the digital conversion you're talking about is the effect of the 1.6 cropped sensor.  That wouldn't apply to a full frame sensor. 

1 minute ago, Greybeard said:

Correct.  I did something wrong figuring mine.  It would be 672 mm for mine using the formula.  896mm for 400mm lens.  I think the digital conversion you're talking about is the effect of the 1.6 cropped sensor.  That wouldn't apply to a full frame sensor. 

I think you maybe right. :up:

How do you shoot the moon. How do you set your camera?

You did a good job with it.  What were your settings? 

I have put the iso on auto, set the aperture in AV mode as small as possible(largest f number).  It's bright enough to keep shutter fast and iso low.  You don't want a very slow shutter speed since the moon is moving.  You can also use metering in manual mode to manually keep the iso down and adjust the shutter speed to get a balance.  Try 1/3 to a stop underexposed.  Think I've shot some with under 2 stops underexposed.  Don't quite remember what came out best.  Keep the aperture number high for most depth.  I also set the shutter to lock-up.  If your camera doesn't have that option, this will happen automatically if you use live shooting through the led screen. It reduces camera shake.  I also set the 2 sec timer. I don't have a remote release. 

In photoshop, have you tried the 'remove color cast' ?  Enhance/ adjust color/remove color cast.

Also bring up 'layers' bar on right, make copy, then filter/other/high pass, then adjust the amount until you just see the photo outlines darken. Don't adjust too far to the point of filling in the outlines.  Then click ok.  Then click overlay, or mess around with the other sharpening options if you want.  That will sharpen just the outlines and not the noise in the pic.  It will now be in ps format and will have to be converted back to jpeg in the options given when you go to save it.

I now have luminar 4 and it has a few more structure enhancing options and breaks down adjustments a lot more.  Have to try it yet on the moon.

I also got lucky off hand shooting from a tree stand without a lot of depth.  I was probably in f/5.6 to gather fading light for shooting wildlife. 300mm, f/5.6, 1/500, iso100

8407339530_253c60a3e0_h.jpgIMG_8034c copy by shot4u2c, on Flickr

2 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

You did a good job with it.  What were your settings? 

I have put the iso on auto, set the aperture in AV mode as small as possible(largest f number).  It's bright enough to keep shutter fast and iso low.  You don't want a very slow shutter speed since the moon is moving.  You can also use metering in manual mode to manually keep the iso down and adjust the shutter speed to get a balance.  Try 1/3 to a stop underexposed.  Think I've shot some with under 2 stops underexposed.  Don't quite remember what came out best.  Keep the aperture number high for most depth.  I also set the shutter to lock-up.  If your camera doesn't have that option, this will happen automatically if you use live shooting through the led screen. It reduces camera shake.  I also set the 2 sec timer. I don't have a remote release. 

In photoshop, have you tried the 'remove color cast' ?  Enhance/ adjust color/remove color cast.

Also bring up 'layers' bar on right, make copy, then filter/other/high pass, then adjust the amount until you just see the photo outlines darken. Don't adjust too far to the point of filling in the outlines.  Then click ok.  Then click overlay, or mess around with the other sharpening options if you want.  That will sharpen just the outlines and not the noise in the pic.  It will now be in ps format and will have to be converted back to jpeg in the options given when you go to save it.

I now have luminar 4 and it has a few more structure enhancing options and breaks down adjustments a lot more.  Have to try it yet on the moon.

I also got lucky off hand shooting from a tree stand without a lot of depth.  I was probably in f/5.6 to gather fading light for shooting wildlife. 300mm, f/5.6, 1/500, iso100

8407339530_253c60a3e0_h.jpgIMG_8034c copy by shot4u2c, on Flickr

NO, I never tried any of the adjustments you talked about in photoshop but I will give it a shot,Yhanks
I tried many different ways. On my last camera D60 I would do it in AV mode with high ISO but this does not work on my 80D.. it gets overexposed.
This is the way it works every time for me, regardless on camera I use: In manual mode I set the aperture to 11. Then I adjust the speed to match my ISO. For example ISO 400 the speed 1/400. It works every time and you can get it at very low ISO. I increase ISO to get more speed if its too dark or I don;t have a good rest. 
Forget metering, with the bright object on black background the camera gets tricked and metering makes no sens, at least for me.