IGNORED

Uranus in NW sky right now

madeinuk

8 hours ago, nickmarch said:

The stars don't move but the earth does.

Take some pics on a tripod of some stars with white lights and blinking red and blue lights and get back to me.  

The earth moves but the stars still  appear in almost the exact same spot each night as they were before at the same time. Whatever you are looking at maybe balloons but they are not balloons because you see them in the same spot every night, as you stated early. All stars are visible in the same general area every 24 hrs

25 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

The earth moves but the stars still  appear in almost the exact same spot each night as they were before at the same time. Whatever you are looking at maybe balloons but they are not balloons because you see them in the same spot every night, as you stated early. All stars are visible in the same general area every 24 hrs

What part of red and blue lights don't you understand?   

Do you see red and blue lights on your stars? 

I see plenty of stars.  The 3 things that jm talking about have red and blue lights.

Edited by nickmarch

My one and only response, as I have seen this enough to not get involved.  The Earth makes exactly 1 rotation on its axis every 24 hours.  That would mean that if one looked at the sky every 24 hours things would be relatively close to the same spot.  Of course our orbit around the sun would take us in a slightly different path, as would Venus's or any other visible planet, thus we can not always see them.  When the orbits align, they can usually be seen for a few consecutive days.  Look NW in the sky from my location in Warren County and I am looking at Venus for the second consecutive night.

Here is reference reading if you would like to learn some more.

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

:peace:

You can only see five planets with your naked eye and there's an easy way to remember them.  Especially if you know Latin, French, or Spanish.

The word Planetos means wandering star.  Due to retrograde motion of the planets., long ago, people used to think the stars were getting lost, hence the name.

Anyhow, haven't any of ye ever thought about the names of the days of the week?

Sunday, sounds like the Sun?

Monday, (Lundi/Lunes) sounds like Lunar - the moon.

Tuesday, (Mardi/Marte) Mars' day.

Wednesday, (Mercredi/Miercolis) Mercury's day.

Thursday, (Jeudi/Jeuvas) Jupiter's day.

Friday, (Vendredi/Viernes) Venus's day.

Hopefully, Saturday needs no translation.

All the rest cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Also, all motion is relative.  There is no such thing as absolute motion.  However, we tend to think of the Earth as our reference frame.

A solar day is the time it takes to see the Sun in the same position - 24h.

A sidereal day is the time it takes to see a star in the same position - about 23h-56m.  This is why we see different constellations at different times of the year.

Heres one explanation:up:

Look at it with binoculars it's not a planet!  It has red and blue lights on it.

"Look at it next week, next month, next year and explain to me how it is in the same general area every night while the earth rotates around the sun and the earth rotates. "

Edited by bucky

On 4/8/2020 at 9:16 PM, nickmarch said:

It's not Uranus it's a government balloon that detects explosions.  I can see 3 of them from Wildwood.  They are in the sky every night in the same locations.  Look at it with binoculars it has red and blue blinking lights on it.  In the summer every weekend when the fireworks start they drop down rapidly.

Or do a search here.  It will tell you what you can and can't see.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/@4501554

"All men die, not all men really live". WW