IGNORED

I want to kayak and camp the Delaware.

Hey all so I would like to take a trip and kayak/camp my way down the Delaware river. I would like to end just past route 80 and either do 1 or 2 nights camping out.  I have a couple general questions for those who have done it and I welcome all tips/suggestions you could think of.   I’ll be going with a buddy and I was thinking of doing it a bit after Labor Day. (Hopefully less bugs, cooler temps to sleep and less people on the river). I found a map/webpage on line showing where the free camp sites are along the river and am curious if I will have lots of competition for the sites as it’s first come first serve? Or can we just set up on random islands and not expect any trouble.   Secondly where do you recommend to put in for a 1 and 2 night trip again to end just past route 80 and can leave a truck parked for the duration of the trip?   Does anyone have suggestions how to transport gear?  I’m thinking of an 18 wheeler inner tube tied behind my kayak. Lastly I noticed on the map they show class 1 rapids near the S bend by walpack. Given a normal amount of rain that month what can I really expect with those rapids being in a kayak? I know the river fairly well from the worthington boat ramp down to 80. But not much above.  We’re planning to do lots of fishing along the way yet enough time to make sure we are set up camp before dark.  Thank you for all the help and suggestions on other bits of random gear to pick up to make the trip more enjoyable.  If everything goes as planned this will be a yearly trip and hopefully a bit longer each year.  

All the spots are marked, you have to pay for parking so make sure when you park you cover all the time needed 20 some years ago they banged you $50 for over parking fee.

Over night trips go by distance so if question by ranger and you give them drop in and pull out location that don't equal an overnight trip you will be ticketed.

You stay at each spot only one night and go on your way. 

All spots are nice plenty of room and safe.

Just know your distance when we were younger did it just about every other weekend, always did short trips and when questioned always gave far enough apart not to get ticketed.

Nice guys or not they like giving tickets.

Dot all your "I"s and cross all your"t"s and you will be fine.

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

• 3 weeks later...

I do this once a year. I rent the canoe at chamberlain canoe, first exit once you get into PA rt80. You park your car there and they set you up with a ride to launch and pick you up. They have maps that show you the trips and how many miles from different launch and pick up destinations. Camp sites are first come first serve, they are on both sides of the river. The campsites have a fire ring also and are marked. You will get in trouble just pulling over and camping just anywhere and they do patrol the river. It’s a great time. Hope that helps you out.

They patrol the river with jet boats so yes they will go to the islands. Make sure you camp in designated areas only. The rapids if you want to call them that are class 1 maybe and will be no issue. 

If you ever want to play in rapids, or take a one day 25 mile trip, I'd recommend going up to Callicoon NY to the public parking by the bridge.  On the way up drop a car off at Ten Mile River nation park service parking lot just pass Landers rentals for a full day 25 mile trip.  There also is a NY DEC river access at Narrowsburg for a half day trip or to stop for lunch.  Landers has campgrounds along the route and takes care of transporting everything, but I think they only do raft trips now, and sure it costs more than when I used to rent canoes there.  You can call there to see if they would take care of your needs to camp and for transportation if you're ever interested, or Kitattinny, or Indian head renters.  It's a beautiful stretch of river, very clear water.  Last time I went, my son and I dropped in kayaks on our own.  River gets low in the fall if it's been a dry summer, but a kayak should be ok to get over the rocks.  Best time to go is before end of June.  Would need NY or PA fishing license.  

DSCN6518.JPG.304b41267fe11511c8baa706321670ac.JPG

DSCN6517.JPG.1e5c0ccb7acbf016bb17a408ac4c0846.JPG

Edited by Greybeard