IGNORED

Backcountry revolver recommendation

Looking for east coast backwoods revolver recommendations. Want to weigh portability with shoot ability. Thinking something like a ruger gp100 357 with a 4” barrel. While a 44 will make a bigger hole, thinking I’d personally be more accurate with a 357. Thoughts, recommendations?  

Good choice- for East Coast- well placed .357 will be fine with the right loads. get some bear loads. that is what I carry in Maine. When i went to Alaska, I got a .454 alaskan by Ruger. Thing is a BEAST!!! 

if you want one gun to take you everywhere- .44 is good choice. if you will never go anywhere outside east coast .357 is a great choice WITH the right loads. 

23 minutes ago, trader979 said:

Predator protection as large as a black bear.  PA and ME

Best of both worlds would be in my opinion 41 rem mag. Managagable recoil and harder hitting than the 357.  Will do what you need and more

Edited by vdep217

5 minutes ago, trader979 said:

How about barrel length?  

Again my opinion but any thing less than 6 inch barrel will be to snappy and harder to get back on target in 44 41 or 357.  But with that said try to shoot a few in different lengths and see what you are comfortable with

Edited by vdep217

Only comment about .41 is ammo availability. Of course if you are traveling with own ammo nothing to worry about. .357 will be found in any and every store. 

with practice anything will be manageable. Even the .454 - I couldn’t shoot more than a few rounds practicing but was able to keep 3 shots on target, with wrist pain after lol. 

I’ll take wrist soreness over being mauled 

for barrel length- my Alaskan is 2.5 inch barrel  anything under 4 inches is fine  

factor in how you are going to carry it, how long you will carry it, then decide  

I’ll also add- if you ever need to actually use it- you won’t be taking true well placed aim  more punch will allow for stopping power with even off target hits  

FYI- I’m no expert but I’ve been on hunts with experts that have these recommendations  

don’t over think it - 

If do it all- go .44  then go as small as you are comfortable with  

Edited by Hawkeye57

First and foremost you have to remain BEAR AWARE when your in bear country.  Not sure if your looking to do multiple day DIY or just in and outs.  Being aware and not be stupid has probably saved my butt more times than I care to know when I have been in the backcountry.  Whatever you decide on as far as caliber/make you better practice, practice, practice...Its got to be second nature getting that hand cannon out and getting it on target.  Practice standing, kneeling, rolling and from your back.  I hunt 90% these days out west mostly DIY for multiple days in MT, WY, NM & AZ.  These areas have BIG bears & cats.  Mind you that chances are better you will a cure for this virus before you ever have a run in with a large predator.  I carry exclusively on my chest with a Gunfighters Inc. Kenai holster.  Gun is always with me in reach and doesn't affect my movements.  But you have to PRACTICE!!!  I run a Smith & Wesson .460 and a Glock 20 10MM.  In areas that I know are heavy with Griz I run the .460.  GOOD BEAR AMMO IS A MUST.  Stay Bear Aware, carry bear spray & a BIG BOOM HAND CANNON (if your proficient).  IF you want to chat shoot me a PM.  Joe K.

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG

30 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

See there? That's like where I want to go just once in my life. Somewhere like that. Where is that? (sorry - didn't mean to hijack, but had to ask)

mazzgolf - Montana south of Ennis in the Gravely Range (Just west of Henry's Lake).  Cascades Mnts. (ID) in background.  Public land, general tag and great hunting.  JK

Personally I carried a 357mag with a short barrel hunting WY, Co or Washington.  Why...because I know I can keep every shot inside a softball size circle at 20 ft with one hand, rapid fire.

Big guns are good, but be sure you can fire it accurately under pressure with one hand....odds are high if an encounter happens it will be fast and close...especially with a cat!