IGNORED

any landscapers? plants/shrubs deer dont eat

I hunted a produce farm for a long time the deer would walk through beans corn you name it to get to the melons and would not touch nothing else till the melons were gone. The last year I hunted there they put about 5 acres of gost peppers in right where the deer where coming in at also where my stand was. Well them deer would not even walk through them they walked all the way around to get to the melons. Never even a track in the gost peppers

Edited by smittty

I can speak for the Fredon/Newton/Stillwater/Andover area of Sussex County...

Things deer will eat for certain much of it "candy":

• Azaleas
  • Roses
  • Tulips
  • Impatiens
  • Hosta
  • Arborvitae
  • Soft needled conifers like Fir, yew, etc - but Spruce & Juniper ok
  • Fruit trees - in spring they nip the buds and new shoots, in fall bucks love to rub them, and of course they love the fruit that hits the ground.  You want apple pear peach etc - but you have to protect them to allow them to grow to maturity

Plants / shrubs they generally avoid but in extreme winter, have seen them nibble a bit but mostly safe:

• Rhododendron
  • Boxwoods
  • Lillies

Plants/shrubs I consider safe - 

• Any of the junipers and spruces
  • Spirea
  • Butterfly bush
  • Spruce - so many varieties
  • Cedar
  • Daisies
  • Echinacea
  • Zinnia
  • Mums
  • Marigold
  • Daffodils

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Plant aromatic perennial herbs throughout your garden that have scents that deer hate, such as mint, thyme, French tarragon, lavender, chives, sage, and rosemary.  You can cut and soak the plants in water in the late fall and spray the shrubs occassionally thru the winter to keep the deer away.
Deer resistant plants...
https://www.almanac.com/content/deer-resistant-plants
Be careful about planting mint. It tends to send roots everywhere and wants to spread like wildfire.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I own AWR Deer control . I do deer repellent spraying. I saw some of the comments people have posted about what  they will or will not eat. This is how i always explain it to a customer " if you in a foot of snow with nothing to eat ,you will eat a stick " and thats what they do. I've seen barberry , green giants ,skip laurels, rhododendron , holly and even have seen blue spruce eaten. Now some of my customers they dont touch certain things others thats all they eat, but  Boxwoods ,andromada dwarf alberta spruce seem to do the best....there really isn't any bushes that are deer resistant.

I can speak for the Fredon/Newton/Stillwater/Andover area of Sussex County...
Things deer will eat for certain much of it "candy":
  • Azaleas
  • Roses
  • Tulips
  • Impatiens
  • Hosta
  • Arborvitae
  • Soft needled conifers like Fir, yew, etc - but Spruce & Juniper ok
  • Fruit trees - in spring they nip the buds and new shoots, in fall bucks love to rub them, and of course they love the fruit that hits the ground.  You want apple pear peach etc - but you have to protect them to allow them to grow to maturity
Plants / shrubs they generally avoid but in extreme winter, have seen them nibble a bit but mostly safe:
  • Rhododendron
  • Boxwoods
  • Lillies
Plants/shrubs I consider safe - 
  • Any of the junipers and spruces
  • Spirea
  • Butterfly bush
  • Spruce - so many varieties
  • Cedar
  • Daisies
  • Echinacea
  • Zinnia
  • Mums
  • Marigold
  • Daffodils
My tiger lillys dont stand a chance year after year they get eaten the night before they bloom. Deer come right into my fenced yard area and eat them.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com