IGNORED

For our fly anglers - get out NOW!

Bucksnbows

NJ local trout rivers and streams are seeing early hatches this year given the mild winter.  I have fished the Flatbrook, Musconetcong and South Branch Raritan often the last couple of weeks, so I have paid close attention to our hatches.  The South Branch always sees the first Hendrickson hatches before the other rivers, and this year was no exception.  That hatch continues from anywhere from 1pm until maybe 5pm with spinner falls in the late evenings on calmer nights.  We are also seeing Hendricksons now on all major rivers.  Sometimes, despite the larger Hendricksons being on the water, the trout become selective to our size 18 Blue Quills (Paraleps).  This was the case for me yesterday during a very solid Grannom caddis hatch when the holdovers I was fishing for on an un-stocked section of the Musky when all they wanted was the blue quill duns.  And we still have some egg-laying little black and little brown stoneflies on the water throughout the day.  As the Grannoms hatch in increasing numbers, don't forget to swing nymphs or patterns like LaFontaine sparkle pupa at the end of your drifts.

Bur for yours truly this is the time to focus on fishing afternoons, and fishing dry flies to rising trout.  Soon, these hatches will hit all local NY and PA rivers as well if not already, so the best of spring is here and still coming our way.  Get out and wave those long fly rods on a river or stream near you!    

Never like  nymphing.......but hope to head out to the SBR this week.........did enter a bass tournament yesterday , and I won.........well I was the only entrant, only person fishing the lake, and only caught one.........so it was quite competitive........but I really did enjoy the peaceful time.......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

3 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

NJ local trout rivers and streams are seeing early hatches this year given the mild winter.  I have fished the Flatbrook, Musconetcong and South Branch Raritan often the last couple of weeks, so I have paid close attention to our hatches.  The South Branch always sees the first Hendrickson hatches before the other rivers, and this year was no exception.  That hatch continues from anywhere from 1pm until maybe 5pm with spinner falls in the late evenings on calmer nights.  We are also seeing Hendricksons now on all major rivers.  Sometimes, despite the larger Hendricksons being on the water, the trout become selective to our size 18 Blue Quills (Paraleps).  This was the case for me yesterday during a very solid Grannom caddis hatch when the holdovers I was fishing for on an un-stocked section of the Musky when all they wanted was the blue quill duns.  And we still have some egg-laying little black and little brown stoneflies on the water throughout the day.  As the Grannoms hatch in increasing numbers, don't forget to swing nymphs or patterns like LaFontaine sparkle pupa at the end of your drifts.

Bur for yours truly this is the time to focus on fishing afternoons, and fishing dry flies to rising trout.  Soon, these hatches will hit all local NY and PA rivers as well if not already, so the best of spring is here and still coming our way.  Get out and wave those long fly rods on a river or stream near you!    

I think you should keep giving updates on what's hatching. I mean I'll be truthful, I have very little knowledge of any of the insects you mentioned, but I'm sure many do.

10 minutes ago, DBuck said:

I think you should keep giving updates on what's hatching. I mean I'll be truthful, I have very little knowledge of any of the insects you mentioned, but I'm sure many do.

Maybe some pics of the flys that match the bugs you’re seeing? 
would be a big help for the uninitiated! 

This was my fly of the day Friday afternoon on the Musky. Size 18 Blue Winged Olive (BWO).  They were very selective to this hatch and it took me some time to figure it out with all the grannom caddis pouring off the water. Mayflies struggle under the surface film to climb out of their shucks and hatch into a winged insect that needs to dry its new wings before flying off to streamside vegetation to molt and later mate, lay eggs, die and become trout food.

Caddis just burst through the surface and fly quickly away upstream.  The mayflies float along for several seconds before attempting take off. Trout rise steadily to them during hatches  

The fly is a size 18 BWO parachute style dry fly. 

6E9030CF-7DA4-46CD-9C86-9B3EDA8355D5.jpeg

Edited by Bucksnbows

On 4/4/2020 at 8:41 PM, LPJR said:

I am telling you, I heard Brian singing "Silver & Gold" while he was fishing. Looked upstream and saw this!

20200401_175336.gif

He’s just jealous he can’t sing like me or catch trout on dry flies like me. 😂

Edited by Bucksnbows

Work has been fncking crazy but when walking the dog over the past week I have seen numerous rises to BWOs and Caddis.  An osprey is regularly by the mill in Asbury now as a testament to how many fish are in the river and willing to come to the surface.