splitrockoutdoors

Turkey Decoy Question/ Pic

To those experienced turkey hunters...Do you use decoys?  Will expensive decoys be any better than these cheap ones I have pictured below?  Thanks!

20200401_131934.jpg

I read that if you don't use "good" decoys, you are doing more harm than good. 

How do they know how much you paid?  LOL

They are pretty stupid anyway. 

I use decent decoys.  I think with any decoy and turkey hunting is that they will either work great or they will mess everything up.  I am at a stage where I would prefer not to use them.  

Posted (edited)

The funky chicken decoy works great! It's a scrawny looking jake.  When a Tom sees it they run in to beat the crap out of it especially if you have a laying hen next to it. I put mine on piano wire and attach a string to the piano wire to make it move.

If you use a regular Tom decoy some less dominate toms won't come in they will be afraid of it.  

Edited by nickmarch
  • Like 1

I’ve always used the Walmart fold up cheap decoys.  Hen and a jake combo.  I have buddies who swear by the avian x decoys that are very expensive but I get just as many turkeys as them.  A lot of them can’t work a diaphragm though either.  I’ve killed turkeys with and without decoys.

if I have the time I like to have atleast one decoy out this way it’s a visual for them to pull them that much closer possibly.

if I’m walking and calling sometimes there isn’t time for the decoy then you just got to play it on the run which is fun!

Good luck!

Posted (edited)

Big fan of Avian X decoys. Put a jake facing you. Many times a tom will come in and circle around to confront the jake. Giving u a chance to raise your gun and take the shot

Edited by Buckeyes11
Spelling
  • Like 1

Shot my first Tom over one of those cheap foam decoys (or just like them).

Also shot a fall hen over some of those vinyl blow up turkey decoys.

Also shot a couple over the expensive Avian-X that I bought a few years ago.

The birds are stupid. They don't know the difference.

But I think we are more stupid than the birds - how else to explain buying $100 decoys when the birds come just as easily into a $10 decoy?:loco:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've taken more turkeys without them than with them

Edited by Bucndoe

Strictly bow hunt turkeys , and have taken Lots of gobblers .

all were beating  up or focused onmy decoys as I drew back .

lifelike decoys stay standing when they are getting thumped on .

im an Avian X fan , but killed a lot of birds with the collapsing foam decoys too .

• Like 1

If the Boss is with hens the decoys bring in a lot of Jakes this time of year. They love to fight!

Although I now own one Avian X that I purchased with a Cabelas gift certificate, I still have fantastic results when I use decoys with my 30+ year old cheap Cabelas decoys.  The paint is long worn off, but they work great.  When I run and gun, I seldom use a decoy.  But when I sit in one place, I nearly always do.  There are exceptions to both.  

• Like 1

I’ve used cheap inflatable hen decoys with good results but honestly, I’ve taken my best Tom’s without decoys.