Took 3 seasons BUT my buddy finally put a good first Gobbler down....

Drop Tine

Just a quick little story about a turkey hunter in the making…

For the last 3 seasons I’ve been trying to get my good friend Dennis on his 1st. Gobbler…

Dennis works a lot of long hours and dedicates his free time to his family and The UBNJ an though we’ve gotten together a few times over the last two turkey seasons and have had some really action packed exciting hunts together with several close calls…  for one or another reason things just wouldn’t come together for a good shot on a worthy bird…

Well that all changed this season;

We were in contact most of the season, scouting and waiting for the right opportunity to get a hunt together… With action heating up in one of our key areas we took the day off to try and get him first gobbler…

Didn't catch anything on the roost so we sat on a swamp edge calling for a while.

After not getting any response within ear shot, we decided to do  a little running and gunning…

Slowly worked our way through the swamp and sat in a blow down for about 30 minutes calling and just listening… as we were about to hit a little more running and gunning… I hear the faintest of gobbles several hundred yards away.

We quickly got set up and I went to working this gobbler as though we knew he was a ways off , he was hot and coming quick. Took about 25 minutes to bring him in and what a great show he put on all the way till he was about 15 yards from Dennis then... as soon as he broke strut and popped his head up…. Kaboom !

BIG Bird Down...

Though it took a while the first gobbler is in the books for my buddy and another great hunt with a good friend lives in my memory....

Dennis is a great guy dedicated to his Family and Friends and goes out of his way to do many great things for the UBNJ and I am fortunate to get to call him a friend…

Congrats Again Buddy AWESOME 1st. Gobbler.

Weight 23 lbs.
11.5" thick beard
1 1/4 spurs

DennissFirstGobbler1.jpg

DennissFirstGobbler2.jpg

DennissFirstGobbler3.jpg

We're already making plans for what we truly want and that is a Fall Bow Turkey Hunt together… Can’t Wait !

Edited by Drop Tine