Mite be too early but I wanted to see if these cucumber seeds from 2017 would sprout.....sure enough....they did!!

20200404_163750.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Mite be too early but I wanted to see if these cucumber seeds from 2017 would sprout.....sure enough....they did!!

20200404_163750.jpg

I'm thinking we can get stuff in the ground early this year.

• Like 2

If I had seedlings that looked like that, they would be dumped in bottom of raised beds and covered!! Go buy properly grown plants from a gardencenter until you are organized and understand seeding requirements. This from 30+ years as a grower of quality. You will be much happier for your efforts.

1 hour ago, Jerzguy2 said:

If I had seedlings that looked like that, they would be dumped in bottom of raised beds and covered!! Go buy properly grown plants from a gardencenter until you are organized and understand seeding requirements. This from 30+ years as a grower of quality. You will be much happier for your efforts.

Um....what's wrong with them??

If u read my post....the seeds were from 2017 and I was intrigued to see if they would still sprout. 

If I am able to harvest 1 cucumber from them, I would be happy....that's the fun of it!!  Plus showing the kids how to grow things....is even more fun!!

How much fun is it to go to a garden center and buy something someone already did for you??

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Um....what's wrong with them??

If u read my post....the seeds were from 2017 and I was intrigued to see if they would still sprout. 

If I am able to harvest 1 cucumber from them, I would be happy....that's the fun of it!!  Plus showing the kids how to grow things....is even more fun!!

How much fun is it to go to a garden center and buy something someone already did for you??

I think he's directing his post at Njpddet but he's not real clear. Regardless, he's coming off like a garden nazi!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Lmao, he very well might be directing his words towards me. I’m stunned and hurt....lol. I never said that I was a farmer. I was chasing bad guys for nearly 30 years and never grew my plants from seed. If they don’t pan out, I will buy plants. With a little luck, my lights and racks will get here soon and maybe I can up my game. I’ve repotted some and they look like they are coming around. What say you seed nazi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMG_0294.jpg
  • Like 5

Just reseeded my lawn.  Not even thinking of planting the garden yet.  Going down into the 30's at night by Friday.  Maybe start some lettuce and get the potatoes in the ground when it warms up again.  Still have a little time left to scout and look for sheds before the vegetation gets too thick.

• Like 1

whats the coldest temp the night can be to put plants in garden? all mine are growing very fast and would like to get them in soon. im running out of pots. 

• Like 1

I saw May 1st is usually a safe bet for no chance of frost....but this has definitely been an early spring at least by a few wks!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kype said:

whats the coldest temp the night can be to put plants in garden? all mine are growing very fast and would like to get them in soon. im running out of pots. 

Cold stuff like lettuce spinach broccoli onions etc can go in around mid to late April, give or take a week or two depending where you are and if it's an early or late spring.  If plants are coming up and a frost is expected, cover them at night with plastic sheets/milk jugs,soda or juice bottles cut in half.  Once temps stay in the fifties at night, around mothers day, tomatoes peppers beans squash etc can go in . Usually there is a time frame for the type of seed on the package.   You can chance it earlier, but I found plants I put in later, when it's warmer toward end of May, end up catching up to same plants that were put in weeks earlier when it was colder.

• Like 3

NJPD, yes my comment was directed at you and I just wanted to save you the grief of trying to make something from a difficult beginning.  I admire what you did with your life, and had planned on that path, but things change. I spent half an hour totally explaining myself clearly, bumped something and poof it was gone. Bone, cuk's  look fine, but just way early. North of Rt. 1 , MAY 10 is usually a safe date for Tomatoes, peppers and "warm"crops, although I had a killing frost in Morristown 15 years ago on May 23.  Didn't mean to be offensive and will attempt to be more clear if I post in the future. Definitely not a Garden Nazi, but 30 years experience seeding and handling plants accounts for something.

'

• Like 2

Greybeard,  Wish I had seen your post before I spent all that time on what I lost, because you pretty much covered it. The one point you made about catching up is very valid and I proved it in extreme.  One year I had 30 or 40 flats of Tomatoes and Peppers left over and couldn't just dump them. I leveled a large compost pile and planted them July  10.  They produced only 2 weeks behind plants planted in May.                                                                                                      

• Like 2

NJPD, yes my comment was directed at you and I just wanted to save you the grief of trying to make something from a difficult beginning.  I admire what you did with your life, and had planned on that path, but things change. I spent half an hour totally explaining myself clearly, bumped something and poof it was gone. Bone, cuk's  look fine, but just way early. North of Rt. 1 , MAY 10 is usually a safe date for Tomatoes, peppers and "warm"crops, although I had a killing frost in Morristown 15 years ago on May 23.  Didn't mean to be offensive and will attempt to be more clear if I post in the future. Definitely not a Garden Nazi, but 30 years experience seeding and handling plants accounts for something.
'

No worries bro, I have very thick skin. We are good. I am open to any advice you have to send. Will my inbound grow lights fix my issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Njpddet said:

NJPD,     Lights will help, but once seedlings stretch, it doesn't repair the damage. The difficult part about seeding inside to early is giving the seedlings enough light and controlling temp. Overly warm temp causes any plant to stretch, even with high light. Professionals use growth regulator spray to control stretch. Some plants ( Tomatoes ) can be planted deep or laying down if stretched, because they root along the stem.  When you have a greenhouse like Greybeard, you have control over much of the issues. Then it's only about seeding at the correct date. 

• Like 4

NJPD,     Lights will help, but once seedlings stretch, it doesn't repair the damage. The difficult part about seeding inside to early is giving the seedlings enough light and controlling temp. Overly warm temp causes any plant to stretch, even with high light. Professionals use growth regulator spray to control stretch. Some plants ( Tomatoes ) can be planted deep or laying down if stretched, because they root along the stem.  When you have a greenhouse like Greybeard, you have control over much of the issues. Then it's only about seeding at the correct date. 

Thanks for the advice. Do I have enough time to shit can what I have and start again? If not, I’ll buy my plants and be that much the wiser next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1