IGNORED

2020 Garden thread

Looks like were gonna have lots of spare time this spring .... so it looks like ill start up the garden again.....basically clean up, turn over soil, create beds.......reinforce fencing.....make it as animal proof as possible........plus plant things they dont like......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COMΒ Β Β  ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMSΒ  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

3 minutes ago, MRMCR said:

Looks like were gonna have lots of spare time this spring .... so it looks like ill start up the garden again.....basically clean up, turn over soil, create beds.......reinforce fencing.....make it as animal proof as possible........plus plant things they dont like......

Have to plant extra this year since there won't be anything left in the stores

8 hours ago, Njpddet said:

I bought 3 (3x6) raised beds that I am staining, then building. I could use some advice on how to put together a good soil mixture. I’m in Bergen County so I will probably have to buy most of the compost, etc at a nursery or Home Depot. I’m open to any and all suggestions on raised bed gardening. IMG_0158.jpgIMG_0157.jpgIMG_0156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yrs ago I did some raised beds.....and opted to go w plain old pine 2 x 8s....after reading bout concerns of leaching from treated woods.....the pine lasted bout 6 yrs then rotted, but I felt better bout eating vegetables from the garden.Β 

Around the same time....my pal also put in raised beds n used pressure treated wood. When I asked him if he had any concerns, he said no, it wont leach tooΒ bad....but he is arrogant and a know it all, so I left the discussion at that.Β 

Not sure what the experts are saying nowadays bout treating wood for raised beds, but take a gander so the family is not exposed to anything harmful.Β 

If research says dont take the chance....and....since u already bought em....maybe use em for a raised flower bed or something.....away from the vegetable garden.Β 

I am also at the point of enlarging my meager garden.Β  I need to jump start my soil.Β  Here's what I am doing.Β  Keeping all eggshells, letting the dry out and then adding to the soil.Β  All coffee grounds and tea bags will be added to the soil.Β  I am also container gardening with feed bags and some garden bags I bought off Amazon.Β  I am also hoping to find some rabbitΒ poop for when plant the veggies.

Edited by Sharpdogs

I could be wrong here, but I think I remember my daughter not staining or using preservatives on the wood to avoid toxins from leeching into the soil.Β  I think she lined the sides instead.Β  Staining the outside would be ok.

My plan is still to line the interior of each raised bed with tyvek and or plastic. I was concerned about the same thing. I hope that will suffice.

Β 

Β 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most nutritious vegetables to plant in garden??

Due to our present situation....my small garden needs to maximize its potential for nutrition!!

I have a few of these started already...

ya'll planting anything out of the normal w regards to high nutrition for small gardens?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/14-healthiest-vegetables-on-earth#section13