9 minutes ago, Bones said:

They’re digging under

Some fencing about 18 inches wide at the bottom bent at a 90 degree angle going away from existing fence.....and best if submerged a bit underground,  should prevent them from going under.....i don't think they know to back up and dig once they hit that barrier.....

They seem to find the path of least resistance.....and easily dig under a fence....but if they start digging and hit a barrier.....they are not smart enough to back up and dig again until they find the edge of the barrier. 

They also can climb good.....so i use the same for the top.....they climb up but can't maneuver over the lip of top fence w their grubby lil front arms

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deerslayer21 said:

what are you guys doing about the chipmunks and squirrels ?   i have a million of them and theyll wipe me out ?  

I trapped and relocated 2 dozen one year.  4 dozen came in to fight over the vacancies.  Squirrels dig up everything to get to the nuts they buried in the soft dirt last fall.  Chipmunks seem satisfied with the seeds that drop from the bird feeder.  They haven't bothered the bulbs lately.  But, not sure if it was chipmunks or starlings that dug up a couple hundred sunflower seeds, twice.  A few are coming up still, and I planted more in starter packs to transplant.  Catbirds are also a problem when the huckleberries ripen, turkeys are coming back daily now to check on them too.  Have to get up when the first bird chirps to get my share.  Who makes the quietest pellet gun?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stuff's growing. Put the last of the compost around the potatoes today.

1590697481641750403718364257361.thumb.jpg.081c9395d789ba5c3e0781c88c993092.jpg

Anybody else feel bad when having to thin out plants? I put some in pots just in case one i saved dies, or somebody else wants some.

15906977415138571583747241245401.thumb.jpg.e2c21f904dea394ce346b1312828746a.jpg

Cucumbers finally popped up and are taking off

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Anybody else feel bad when having to thin out plants? I put some in pots just in case one i saved dies, or somebody else wants some.

LOL, yes. If it's growing, why kill it? That's why I usually end up with way to much zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, kale, etc. I think I'm going to try donating a lot of it this year. I usually just share with the neighbors, family and people at work but since we are getting together much less, I'm going to look to a food pantry. 

Not going to have many strawberries to share. I did pick another 3 quarts today but the family is eating them so fast, and I'm losing a lot to ants. Anyone have any non-pesticide ideas for keeping ants away?

• Like 2

Lettuce is looking good. Already eating some of the outside leaves.  They are starting to form heads now.

20200528_190156.jpg

20200528_172558.jpg

• Like 2

Everything else is starting to take off

20200528_172618.jpg

20200528_172719.jpg

20200528_172737.jpg

• Like 1

I’m a first year gardener and had a question if you guys stake or cage your pepper plants? The internet is a mixed bag on yes or no

LOL, yes. If it's growing, why kill it? That's why I usually end up with way to much zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, kale, etc. I think I'm going to try donating a lot of it this year. I usually just share with the neighbors, family and people at work but since we are getting together much less, I'm going to look to a food pantry. 
Not going to have many strawberries to share. I did pick another 3 quarts today but the family is eating them so fast, and I'm losing a lot to ants. Anyone have any non-pesticide ideas for keeping ants away?

Have you tried ant bait? I used Maxforce ant bait (granular and gel) last year for carpenter ant and small regular ants and it worked great. At night I would watch them take the bait and bring it back to their hive. Give it a week and no more ants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Njpddet said:

Have you tried ant bait? I used Maxforce ant bait (granular and gel) last year for carpenter ant and small regular ants and it worked great. At night I would watch them take the bait and bring it back to their hive. Give it a week and no more ants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I concur!!

20200529_055137.jpg

9 hours ago, Herd Buck said:

I’m a first year gardener and had a question if you guys stake or cage your pepper plants? The internet is a mixed bag on yes or no

I cage the peppers and tomatoes.  As the plants grow in the cage, I just position the branches through an opening to support the plant and to keep the stalk growing up in the middle of the cage.  Used to tie them to stakes, but it's a pain to keep up with doing it.  If you do tie them up, use 1" wide strips of cloth so the stalks don't get cut. 

• Like 1

If you are the normal plant it and forget it type, cages are definitely the way to go. A well grown pepper plant may need to be staked with the weight of peppers. Stake & Tie for tomatoes if you are going to tend to your plants at least twice a week. Has to be your passion, not plant and forget.

I have memories of my fathers beautiful garden and his German friends that were tended to daily, but that was there only hobbies or outlet. There is a women in Asbury, with a magnificent garden, maybe 40 x 80. It's like something from a magazine, but I'll bet she is out there at least 30 hrs. a week.

• Like 2

I concur!!

20200529_055137.thumb.jpg.c37ff30003ba8f85c9f94e03537fd7ef.jpg

I just put out the cheaper ant bait from the hardware store. I haven’t yet seen the attraction like I saw with the serious maxpro bait. I will give it some time to see if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Got a garden in this year nothing special just the usual cucumbers, tomatoes and bush beans

F60BB3AE-0E44-4495-8355-CF64C40090C6.jpeg

• Like 2