IGNORED

NJ guns laws strike an innocent man

Just now, Bucndoe said:

Who do you think all police departments in the state answer to and ask questions of regarding firearms and firearms permits ? The NJSP Firearms Unit who is directly overseen by the NJ AG

I wonder why the heck they are prosecuting this case then?

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

I wonder why the heck they are prosecuting this case then?

I don't know anything about it so I won't comment on it 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

37 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Who do you think all police departments in the state answer to and ask questions of regarding firearms and firearms permits ? The NJSP Firearms Unit who is directly overseen by the NJ AG

That maybe the case but I think Nomad is right. The law is what you need to know and go by, not some Q&A on the website. The judge is not going to ask NJSP Firearms Unit, he will look at the actual law

Edited by Lunatic

He was also charged with illegal transportation. The article doesn't say if the gun was loaded.  If the gun and ammo were in the same compartment aka not seperated or the ammo was not locked in a separate box, ect.  

In NJ there is no legal definition of a hollow point.  The judge will decide if the ammo is hollow point.  What is stated on the State Police website doesn't mean squat.  

Edited by nickmarch

44 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

That maybe the case but I think Nomad is right. The law is what you need to know and go by, not some Q&A on the website. The judge is not going to ask NJSP Firearms Unit, he will look at the actual law

You can think whatever you wish. The Q&A is put there with the guidance of a DAG who then gets the OK from the AG. All county and municipal prosecutors get their direction from and answer to the AG. It isn't just put together on a whim or meant to misguide the citizens. 

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

If someone had a permit to carry and they showed it to me after I stopped them, and everything was legit, after checking his credentials,  I would not check to see what rounds he had in it. I would not even want to see the gun.  

Might be more to this story.

What's the point of having FAQs or guidelines or any of that if everything always boils down to the law that could differ. In that respect you might as well just have a one sentence FAQ that says read the law.  

Fact is you're relying on the information from law-enforcement agencies as a citizen to be accurate so as a layman citizen you don't need to study laws and statutes.  At that point we might as well all become lawyers. 

10 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

What's the point of having FAQs or guidelines or any of that if everything always boils down to the law that could differ. In that respect you might as well just have a one sentence FAQ that says read the law.  

Fact is you're relying on the information from law-enforcement agencies as a citizen to be accurate so as a layman citizen you don't need to study laws and statutes.  At that point we might as well all become lawyers. 

Judges rule on laws not anyone's faq.  Take a look at what the Attorney generals Website says about hollow points.

https://nj.gov/oag/services_arms.htm

The guy may get off on the hollow points it's up to the judge but he was also charged with illegal transportation.  The gun was either loaded or the gun and ammo were in the same compartment.

Edited by nickmarch

3 hours ago,  RPK0620 said: 

For what its worth,

I keep a printed copy of these ( https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml ) in my vehicle so that if I am stopped while going hunting or to the range I can show them if necessary to a police officer who may not be familiar with them. 

1 hour ago, Daktari said:

I do the same...

For my handguns, in the case I carry them in, I have a copy of my permit application and a copy of the sales receipt, or whatever to show that I am the legal purchaser & owner.  Hopefully if I am ever stopped it all will show that I am trying to comply and also know the law.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

2 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

3 hours ago,  RPK0620 said: 

For what its worth,

I keep a printed copy of these ( https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml ) in my vehicle so that if I am stopped while going hunting or to the range I can show them if necessary to a police officer who may not be familiar with them. 

For my handguns, in the case I carry them in, I have a copy of my permit application and a copy of the sales receipt, or whatever to show that I am the legal purchaser & owner.  Hopefully if I am ever stopped it all will show that I am trying to comply and also know the law.

Good luck with that!  From my own experiences they won't look at it.  They will tell you to tell the judge.

1 minute ago, nickmarch said:

Good luck with that!  From my own experiences they won't look at it.  They will tell you to tell the judge.

You may be right, but depending on the officer who stops you, and your attitude and the way you present yourself and explain, it just may help !

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

7 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

The guy may get off on the hollow points it's up to the judge but he was also charged with illegal transportation.  The gun was either loaded or the gun and ammo were in the same compartment.

He had a permit to carry, so he would be able carry loaded on his person.

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

He had a permit to carry, so he would be able carry loaded on his person.

You can not legally transport a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.  A carry permit doesn't allow you to transport a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Edited by nickmarch

42 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

You can think whatever you wish. The Q&A is put there with the guidance of a DAG who then gets the OK from the AG. All county and municipal prosecutors get their direction from and answer to the AG. It isn't just put together on a whim or meant to misguide the citizens. 

So why was he charged and being prosecuted. You would think if I he prosecutor was guided by it he would stop this charge. Who knows how it will end. The Q&A maybe right but only the actual law holds up in court.