IGNORED

NJ guns laws strike an innocent man

WTH? EVEN *IF* you have one of these unicorns called a NJ carry permit, you STILL get arrested and charged???

https://freebeacon.com/issues/jersey-cops-arrest-black-gun-owner-over-licensed-gun-legal-ammo/amp

"He was arrested for the hollow point ammunition," Nappen told the Free Beacon. "Then they claimed he was transporting his handgun illegally. He had a permit to carry a handgun. The law … makes it clear that it's illegal to transport unless you are licensed pursuant to chapter 58. And that is precisely what a handgun carry permit is."

The charges against Twyne are representative of the difficulties of navigating New Jersey's gun laws, which are among the strictest in the nation. They may also reveal issues in the police's understanding of the state's voluminous, complex gun restrictions. The case also shows how disruptive gun-related charges can be, even when the accused has a clean record and is not alleged to have done anything violent

Nappen said he should have been released without charges once police reviewed his gun-carry permit.

"Once they got all of his licenses, he's a block away from home and everything is clear now," he said. "You arrest him and put these charges on him? I mean, who is this person we're dealing with now? This isn't some gang banger that they've been trying to get forever and they finally can put something on him because he's such a danger to the public. This is a good guy. Licensed. He just showed you everything. He's not a danger to anybody. He's a good guy on our side. On the side of law and order. Why is he then subjected to the next phase with both the charges that are baseless?"

"Mr. Roosevelt didn't make any mistakes. Shaneen was an injustice without a doubt but here even completely obeying the law you still become a victim of gun laws. It's ridiculous."

NJ gun laws are  insane in NJ you are guilty till proven innocent you can be 100% legal and still be arrested and charged with illegally possessing a firearm. Nappen talks about cases at his gun law seminars of people who called the police for something and they show up and see a handgun that’s legally in the home and are arrested for possessing an illegal firearm. Costing you thousands to fight and win something you are legally allowed to possess in the first place.

From the Hornady website. 

"Hornady Critical Defense shares a similar feature, in that it's a hollow point bullet with a polymer insert, but it's been designed for use in compact concealed carry pistols."

Can't carry hollow points with a NJ carry permit. 

For what its worth,

I keep a printed copy of these ( https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml ) in my vehicle so that if I am stopped while going hunting or to the range I can show them if necessary to a police officer who kmay not be familiar with them. 

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

From the Hornady website. 

"Hornady Critical Defense shares a similar feature, in that it's a hollow point bullet with a polymer insert, but it's been designed for use in compact concealed carry pistols."

Can't carry hollow points with a NJ carry permit. 

As we've seen it's the NJ law that matters not a definition of a firearm or ammunition by anyone but NJ laws.  

Same reason we have "assault" rifles defined in law which have no difference in function than their "non-assault" counterparts of equal caliber, semi auto function, magazine capacity, etc. 

Regarding the ammo in this incident, it's clear by law it's legal here.  And also Hornady is saying it is polymer filled which confirms and aligns with the legal language in NJ

Nappen said the ammunition that led to Twyne's arrest was the same ammunition issued by his employer. He also pointed to a New Jersey State Police website that says the polymer-tipped Hornady "Critical Duty" ammunition in question is "not considered to be hollow point ammunition" and not illegal to possess in the state—the website goes so far as to specifically name "Critical Duty" as an example of legal ammunition.

"It's lawful," Nappen told the Free Beacon. "It's publicly announced as lawful because it is. It's not hollow. It's filled."

2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Because of this the guy is unable to work since the arrest. I see a lawsuit coming up after and if he gets acquitted

Yes indeed.  Lawsuit.  Easy win. Easy money for he and Nappen.  All costing taxpayers unnecessarily.  This is an obnoxious example, the guy had every form of id possible to support the legality of him carrying and still gets arrested?

32 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Yes indeed.  Lawsuit.  Easy win. Easy money for he and Nappen.  All costing taxpayers unnecessarily.  This is an obnoxious example, the guy had every form of id possible to support the legality of him carrying and still gets arrested?

Just playing devil's  advocate here. ;)

I didn't see a polymer tip/hollow point exception in the actual law, just in the NJSP interpretation, in the questions and answers.   A judge will ultimately look at the law and decide on this case.  They could rule that polymer tips in a hollow point are illegal, but due to the totality of the circumstances in this case, ie., misinformation by the NJSP, on their website, that the case is dismissed. 

Can I melt some wax into the hollow tip?  How about if I pack some marshmellow in there?;)

Edited by Nomad

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Just playing devil's  advocate here. ;)

I didn't see a polymer tip/hollow point exception in the actual law, just in the NJSP interpretation, in the questions and answers.   A judge will ultimately look at the law and decide on this case.  They could rule that polymer tips in a hollow point are illegal, but due to the totality of the circumstances in this case, ie., misinformation by the NJSP, on their website, that the case is dismissed. 

Who do you think all police departments in the state answer to and ask questions of regarding firearms and firearms permits ? The NJSP Firearms Unit who is directly overseen by the NJ AG

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."