IGNORED

How do you store and season your firewood?

mike033089

30 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I cover only the top. Made two of these. On the First  one I used traffic sign posts for the frame. The frame on the #2 is made from fence posts. Both covered with plywood and then shingles or tarp 

4B67C97A-4455-4FB8-9D49-611A03EDEDF0.jpeg

53174DC6-2AB2-4E58-93C8-FC24B191FE6B.jpeg

Rusty is going to pass out when he sees that pile. lol

43 minutes ago, Kype said:

i may try this. looking at crappy tarps gets annoying. then on windy days there are flying all over the place no matter how well you tie them done. those stupid eye outlets always rip.

so the wood you are currently seasoning now, gets no tarps? even if its gonna rain for 2 days straight? just curious because i may want to try this. 

Yes.  Wood that is currently seasoning doesn't get covered at all.  Wood that is seasoned and ready to burn only gets covered if there is going to be extended rain or snow.  Other than that, it doesn't.  A little added surface moisture from a normal rain or snow storm isn't enough to affect the burn

1 hour ago, Kype said:

so the wood you are currently seasoning now, gets no tarps? even if its gonna rain for 2 days straight? just curious because i may want to try this. 

Correct, tarps just trap in moisture and make the wood rot faster.  

11 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Correct, tarps just trap in moisture and make the wood rot faster.  

Tarps no, roof yes.  I'm a firm believer in a covered, open sided woodshed.  For those of you who don't cover your wood at all I don't know how the hell you made it through 2018 as wet as it was.  If you keep the rain off the wood will season faster, especially very dense BTU rich woods like oak which take a long time under the best conditions.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

Wood is not like a sponge so it won't soak up water.  You are not only drying out the wood you are "seasoning" it so air flow on all sides and noting on top let weather do its thing. I only cover when Rain or snow is coming and only the amount I think I'm going to burn then it gets uncovered when weather clears.

23 minutes ago, Psehunter said:

Wood is not like a sponge so it won't soak up water.  You are not only drying out the wood you are "seasoning" it so air flow on all sides and noting on top let weather do its thing. I only cover when Rain or snow is coming and only the amount I think I'm going to burn then it gets uncovered when weather clears.

What do you mean by seasoning it is it’s not drying it?

Edited by Lunatic

3 hours ago, Lunatic said:

What do you mean by seasoning it is it’s not drying it?

Seasoning = drying.  When wood is first cut, every fiber of it is full of water that, until the moment it was harvested, was traveling up from the roots to the leaves.  You want that water out, at least until the wood is about about 20% moisture content.  If your piles are uncovered and your wood is constantly getting rained on, the wood may not be soaking water up like a sponge, but the moisture inside the wood isn't going to evaporate out of it as fast which can be a real PITA if you're trying to get a couple of years ahead on your wood supply.  If you have a soaking wet pair of boots would you put them in a damp basement to dry?  Of course not-you'd put them somewhere in the house where the humidity is low.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive