IGNORED

Is this snare nj legal

No. Deer stop needs to be permanently fixed in a specific location  6" from the end of the cable. There also and needs to be loop stop limit as well so the snare loop can't be any larger than 12". Locks need to be relaxing but I don't know what type of lock is on there but the snare itself is no good. Save your money and wait for the class

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

@johnyanu Here's what you do (it's what I did 2 years ago :) )

Take your trapping ed course first before you buy anything - trapping season is basically over now anyway so you won't need anything 'til November anyway.

At the course, you will learn all the legal rules for snares and traps, and then you'll know what you need. You will even get a free snare and extension cable for being a student in the course (when I went, they gave everyone a free snare/extension cable - I think they do this every course).

Then, right before trapping season starts, in early November, there is a trappers convention at Atsion Lake, Route 206 about 7 miles north of Hammonton. Newt will be there (snareone.com) and other guys selling their wares. They will be selling snares, cables, all kinds of legal traps, as well as other stuff like catch poles, lures, etc. It's a one-stop shop for the new trapper to buy all your initial gear that you will need. I ended up buying some of Newt's snares and extension cables, and his little book he wrote (which is pretty good! :) ) So rather than spend money with Amazon, support your local guys and know that you are buying traps that are legal for NJ because they were built by experienced NJ trappers. And the prices weren't that much more expensive - I can't remember exactly what I paid, but the prices were normal.

Here was last year's flyer - you can see what they offer during this convention:

trappers-conv-flyer.jpg.2534e04363c0d641d7eec33fdd090d71.jpg

3 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

@johnyanu Here's what you do (it's what I did 2 years ago :) )

Take your trapping ed course first before you buy anything - trapping season is basically over now anyway so you won't need anything 'til November anyway.

At the course, you will learn all the legal rules for snares and traps, and then you'll know what you need. You will even get a free snare and extension cable for being a student in the course (when I went, they gave everyone a free snare/extension cable - I think they do this every course).

Then, right before trapping season starts, in early November, there is a trappers convention at Atsion Lake, Route 206 about 7 miles north of Hammonton. Newt will be there (snareone.com) and other guys selling their wares. They will be selling snares, cables, all kinds of legal traps, as well as other stuff like catch poles, lures, etc. It's a one-stop shop for the new trapper to buy all your initial gear that you will need. I ended up buying some of Newt's snares and extension cables, and his little book he wrote (which is pretty good! :) ) So rather than spend money with Amazon, support your local guys and know that you are buying traps that are legal for NJ because they were built by experienced NJ trappers. And the prices weren't that much more expensive - I can't remember exactly what I paid, but the prices were normal.

Here was last year's flyer - you can see what they offer during this convention:

trappers-conv-flyer.jpg.2534e04363c0d641d7eec33fdd090d71.jpg

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes my snare are more money. Because I build EVERY snare myself. I have pride in them. Plus I use the very best cable I can in the world. You will NEAVER have a end stop "poop off" on one of my snares.

Go ahead use the cheaper low grade snares. It WILL cost you fur.

When you do the math. THE SNARES are the least expensive thing on your trapline.

Just think about the gas and time you have invested.

You are talking pennies when you buy the best snare compared to the cheapest snare.

What is your time and catch rate worth ?