IGNORED

Remington 700 Custom Build

Haskell_Hunter

I've been thinking about getting another rifle and have a few ideas bouncing around my head.  Was at a venison dinner last night with a few folks and mentioned a discussion I've been having on another forum about calibers and builds.  I'm warming up to the prospect of doing a Rem 700 custom build and spending some coin on it.  I've always owned stock guns and have a few of them already, so this would be the first custom.  So at this point I've chosen the rifle platform, which is good.  I'm now trying to determine the caliber and have a few options on the table.  The calibers I am considering are:

• .30-06
  • 6.5 Creed
  • .300 Win Mag

The purpose of this rifle is to be a rugged North American hunting rifle that can shoot regularly out to 300 yards, but with the ability to shoot out to at least 600 yards.  I expect to be putting a couple hundred rounds through the gun every year for practice and fun in addition to hunting.

I am interested in what people think about these calibers and my intended use of the rifle.  I have .30-06 and .308, so I know those rounds.  I will be using factory ammo.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

If you are going to put a lot of rounds through it, stay away from a magnum. The creedmore is a good round, very accurate and has gained a large following. Not my first choice for elk or moose though. Going with a custom begs for handloading which if were the case I would opt for the 6.5-284 over the creedmore. But since you want to go factory check out the 280 Ackley Improved. Once a wildcat that needed to be reloaded, but gained so much in popularity and performance is now available in excellent factory rounds. 280 Ackley will work short and long range on medium to large game alike

AWM

10 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Yeah, I'm not into the reloading game yet.  I suspect in a few years that will become part of the picture, but for now I'm just using factory.

I Understand, are you looking for a mountain rifle with short action or long action gun with a little more weight geared towards long range shooting?  

AWM

1 hour ago, MGHunter66 said:

I Understand, are you looking for a mountain rifle with short action or long action gun with a little more weight geared towards long range shooting?  

Probably the short action for mountain hunting.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

7 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

6.5 creedmoor. No doubt. 140 grain bullet. I shoot nosler bt in 140 grain.  Awesome gun for mid size big game. Some have hunted elk with it, but a bit light in my opinion 

I need to shoot some 6.5 creed.  I've shot most of the other calibers but not 6.5.  It's on my list to shoot in the next few months.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

I was going to suggest you decide on an action: short or long and change the barrel out later.  However, you're 50% short, 50% long!

Personally, I am going to shoot more until I have a preference.  I am going to research the 270 and 7mm RM.  I have the 338WM, but its kick is a bit much.

In the meantime, sorry to jack your thread, if you/anyone is looking for a nice stock for a right hand, long action, 700, have a look at this from Stocky's Stocks.  An aluminum bedded composite stock for $99.99.  I just purchased one and will do a review once I take it to the range.  As the add says, they will require a bit of sanding to free float.  I put about an hour into sanding by hand.  Probably, would have done the job in less time with an electric sander, but in cases like this, prefer to take my time.

If you do not have the time, I think the blem-free stock retails at $180.  Have a look at the complete line-up of accu block stocks.

Having several Boyd's Stocks, I can say Stocky's looks to be more stock for less price.

Edited by username

go with 7mm rem mag.  look into cooper rifles, made in montana ,as long as you want to spend some coin. 221 fireball,17 m 4 and 203 ruger. 17 m4 steps out at 4000 fps. 221 fireball is the parent case for the 17m4 and the 203 ruger is my go to rifle. these cals are for woodchucks crows fox etc. the coopers can be had in all cals.

Have you looked at any of the WSM’s?  I currently have (2) 300 & 270 WSMs.  Incredible shooting guns in the Rem 700 platform.  Ballistically speaking check out the 7mm WSM, it has a lot to offer and won’t  beat you up at the range.  I have other calibers such as 30 Hart, 240 WBY Mag and 7mm STW.  All are based on a 700 action.  Not sure where your located but I’d offer a range day if you want to test drive some different calibers.  Shoot me a PM if you want.  Good luck.  JK

@Tater1973, I am located in the north, so the closest range to me would be Cherry Ridge.  I am a member and can bring guests.  Could get a few people to meet up and shoot a lot of calibers.

@username, you don't have to worry about hijacking my threads.  All good discussions.

@bob kudile, I'm looking for a larger caliber to shoot whitetail up to moose/elk.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

I would pass on reworking a Remington 700 action. Better to start off with a good foundation.  We live close and you can reload by me. 

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.