IGNORED

Small plots tilling advice

Looking to till three patches about 0.2 acres each within woods and plant mostly clover. Soil is heavy clay but probably some tree roots a couple inches below ground and a good amount of briers roots to pull out.  At this point looking to rent a heavier walk behind tiller for the first yr to do the initial break up, probably a used ATV with a  drag behind tiller with a weight shelf for next yr. 

Or do you think a john deer lawn tractor will pull that drag behind tiller rig and dig deep enough?  Would be good to have that machine for mowing the lawn. 

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Deadeye

You don’t “have” to till. Clover will grow if it makes contact with the soil. I establish perennial plots with frost seeding. My experiences in the woods for success are this....

- make sure you have adequate sunlight or all else may be for nothing 

- do a soil test and amend the soil or again all else may be for nothing 

-you can simply expose the soil and frost seed clovers with excellent results if soil and sun are addressed 

-I won’t till period other then the first year I add lime bc it works faster for the initial gain. After that the soil is on its way and I broadcast on the surface and leave it.  Google Ray the soil guy. Ray Archuletta is his name and you’ll have a small fortune of knowledge as to why no tilling has major advantages. Jess sturgis (whitetail habitat solutions) also  has many videos on how and why he does what he does. Watch a few. You’ll save time and money  

I went from 5.3 PH to almost 7PH in horrible conditions and soil doing the above in less then two years for not a lot of money. And that’s with garbage rocky soil.  Year one was decent outcome  year two had clover that reached 14-18” depending on species. As I open the canopy a little more each year, along the southern sky the growth will improve. Cover crops help me control the weeds so less chemical is needed as well as build the soil. I need zero fertilizer this year. And lime requirements are just for maintenance. The deer eat the plot down to literal dirt. But it bounces back in the spring. This is in the woods  horrible conditions. No equipment. 

Thanks! I definitely will do the soil tests. Expect I will need to add lime and maybe fertilizer but that's why the tilling. Want a good test then I'll need to mix whatever is required.

The woods had a good sized cull about a year ago by prior owner (did not leave me much oak though!)  its basically the log roads that were created I am making long plots out of. I have watched some of those videos great info there!

56 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Thanks! I definitely will do the soil tests. Expect I will need to add lime and maybe fertilizer but that's why the tilling. Want a good test then I'll need to mix whatever is required.

The woods had a good sized cull about a year ago by prior owner (did not leave me much oak though!)  its basically the log roads that were created I am making long plots out of. I have watched some of those videos great info there!

You could prep this year. Then plant annual cover, chicory and winter rye GRAIN for the fall. NOT RYE GRASS. The annual clover and rye will give you some production this season and the chicory will begin to establish itself and emerge come spring. Then come this time next year you can frost seed a perennial clover and some additional chicory. Merit is a good source for seed. And grandpa ray outdoors (GRO) also has some excellent product. Both are MUCH more cost effective and give you the same if not better results then BOB (buck on the bag) brands. You pay more for a pretty picture. 

Spend the summer months clearing the plot and burn it down a few times with round up. 

Late August, early September, get the clover down with some winter rye. 

Frost seed again early March. 

If you try to plant in the spring you will have a major battle with weeds. 

You dont need to till deep for clover, a drag behind your atv to scratch the surface is all you need. You want a firm seed bed with clover.  

20190911_184126.thumb.jpg.1ccc52bf9fa3c354a6982688a9d9c32d.jpg

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com