IGNORED

Freeze/thaw spring soil-time to broadcast some clover seed!!

Mik , how many guys hunting that property?

I see you have plots scattered across the property. Just wondering if you might be making it more difficult to hunt by having all those plots instead of having less plots where you can more define the deer movement from bedding to feeding areas. I wish I could have 300 acres, that left side of what looks like a power line cut would become a huge sanctuary. 

www.liftxrentals.com

I have one large plot ringed with clover wheat and rye, larger plot of beans then brassicas, one 1/4 acre clover plot and one  1/8 acre apple orchard with clover. [Apples are going on their 5 th year now and just starting to produce apples]. Getting the deer to head the same direction every evening makes them a little easier to pattern and figure out whats there. . Of course your access, stand locations and  most important the amount of pressure your guys put on the property all have their affects. 

www.liftxrentals.com

11 hours ago, mikmaze said:

well, it was coated seed, I swear they pic the heaviest coating to make the bag weight......       Got on it today with my snapper 22 hp, 50 inch cut and mowed back an acre of where the foxtail took over to allow for better gly contact once it gets going. went to mow a second area and electrical gremlin  stopped me. dam safety interupts , gotta re wire and cut em out of the loop.

below is the map of the property I manage, almost 300 acres toatal,  mix of mc mansions on one side, borders highway with marm on another, third is a sanctuary.   colored outlines are the plots, big brown patch in upper right corner is a farmers field where he does corn, every dang year.  If he gets it off quick enough I try to get about 5 acres of winter rye in, giving me about 10% plot to land ratio.

14plots.jpg

Nice spot!!

I realize the scatter could cause it to be tough to hunt, but drawing the deer in from the surrounding areas is key, trying to get them to bed on the property is the goal.   The club has 20 members, but I would only call 7 members active hunters, the rest for whatever reason don't hunt much.  Yes down the middle is a power line cut, as for setting up a sanctuary on the left, tough to do as we try to utilize max area to spread out the guys when they do show up.  I have the fortune of being second generation on the property, and recall it when it was an active dairy farm, with nothing but grass for 75% of it, the top left hardwoods have been there since before me.   Club is celebrating 50 years this year.   I don't get much if any help doing the plots, I just enjoy the seat time.   I only take what I need from this property, only harvested one doe this year from it, took my buck in NY during the rifle season this past year.   The scatter is also due to what can be wrestled from what is there, the property had osage planted along fence rows 45 years ago, and they have taken over becoming the predominat tree for 1/4 of the property.   Many other acres are russian olive, some quite large, individual bushes up to 25-30 feet in diameter.    Tough to clear that junk enough to make a plot, and it is always leaning in to try to invade the edge of each plot.

1 hour ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

What do I do about my fall rye grain I planted a few months ago?
Now for spring- do I wait for it to green then spray it?
Do I leave it and let it grow with my 4th season of clover?
Do I till everything and start over from scratch?

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

You can leave it go it will dye off on its own or you can mow it. No need to spray

www.liftxrentals.com

well, in light of everything going on in the world, seems to have picked a tough year to step up my plot program, was really going to hit the undesirable plants with stuff like clteh, and 24d-b this year, but wow is work drying up in a hurry.   Was supposed to start a 3 week night work job last night, had mobilized, but it all got shut down, now up to the Port Authority if it will go or not. Just when I was starting to order stuff, have 50 lbs of fava beans on the way, but holding off on a lot of the rest to see what shakes out, and if any other work, side work, shows up.    

4 hours ago, mikmaze said:

well, in light of everything going on in the world, seems to have picked a tough year to step up my plot program, was really going to hit the undesirable plants with stuff like clteh, and 24d-b this year, but wow is work drying up in a hurry.   Was supposed to start a 3 week night work job last night, had mobilized, but it all got shut down, now up to the Port Authority if it will go or not. Just when I was starting to order stuff, have 50 lbs of fava beans on the way, but holding off on a lot of the rest to see what shakes out, and if any other work, side work, shows up.    

Who do you work for and where? I’m on the GWB at night as of a few minutes ago we were told work on port authority projects will continue until otherwise noted. We pack it in every night as though we aren’t going back however