IGNORED

how long can you store your pelts?

mazzgolf

I am curious how long you can keep your pelts before they start to rot or go bad?

I hear some people say they hold their furs if one year's prices are low - I guess to put them up for sale the following year. But since prices have been low for several years now, I'm curious how long you can wait before the pelts start to go bad?

Do you have to store them a certain way to keep them longer?

If you ain't selling in the season you catch them, don't flesh them. If they are already put up sell them. They will spoil, rot, or bugs will get at them if they are not stored in a climate controlled setting.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

What it costs to keep them in a freezer 12 months is not worth the gamble. You may sell for a couple dollars more in a year or maybe sell for a lot less. Why take the gamble? Sell now while they are fresh. You will need the freezer space in the fall when the fur is coming in at good numbers.

I am holding fur. However, nothing is fleshed and I have a freezer that is run all year for other things so that isn't an issue. I usually start fleshing in February but since I have a lot of fur left over that is at the auction house that didn't't sell yet from last year, I'm holding off. If your stuff is finished, sell it.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."