IGNORED

Ouch, My Car Needed Work

BHC

I think it was about 3 weeks ago roughly we got about 4" of snow. I was driving to work  4am in my commuter car on Rt.78 East and I was going up hill Jugtown Mtn, this area has no lights tractor trailers spraying dirty mist covering my window, all of a sudden there is a huge block shape metal in the lane, either I hit it, or swerve and run into one of these tractor trailers.....well I hit the metal, pulled over turned the car off in case the oil pan got ripped off. I see no damage, the car is running fine, 2 days later I hear my  muffler is sounding like one of these young kids cars which is the least of my problems. Thursday evening I drove over a speed bump maybe 3 mph and I hear something rubbing/dragging, my wife and I thought it was the muffler fell off, I get home 2 mins later and we smell burning rubber. It's late take it into the shop in the morning. So yesterday morning at 0730 my wife followed me to the shop 2 miles from me, I got 3 blocks from my house when I hear a "POP" what the hell?! I got a flat. So finally I had it towed to the shop, well the damage was I need two new tires, replace both sides: sway bar, bushings, strut, springs....the spring broke causing it to gut the tire as you can see.  I asked the owner of the shop, if he ever saw this happen, and he said YES but not as server as this with what it did to the tire

Resized_Screenshot_20200227-192233_Chrome.jpeg

Resized_Screenshot_20200228-075423_Chrome.jpeg

Edited by BHC

I have a small problem with my 2012 Ram. The "traction control" idiot light was coming on when I start the truck. If I drove it a short distance then turned it off and started it again it would go out. The last few days starting and stopped the engine doesn't always reset it.

I think one of the wheel speed sensors need to be replaced. This is a $17 part held in place by one bolt and a connector. There is one for each wheel. However, in order to determine which sensor is malfunctioning a diagnostic scan is needed. Most places charge a fortune to plug their scanner into the diagnostic port. I think I'll just keep driving it like that. The concern is this controls the anti-lock brakes....if I need to make a panic stop I don't know what will happen.

A long time ago, I just filled up my wife's 1967 Firebird convertible with gas and as I was merging onto Route 78 East from Jutland, a car in the second lane hit a piece of flat stock metal. The piece spun towards me and as I tried to avoid it, I ran over it and it hit and punctured the fuel tank. I pulled over and all I could due was watch the fuel pour onto the hot muffler. How it did not catch on fire was beyond me. My father was driving home from work on Route 22 one time when a piece of angle iron fell off of a truck and pierced his driver's side door. It stuck in his seat bottom. And finally, I was driving my Honda on Route 80 when I hit a piece of metal that cracked my transmission and it had to be towed. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

56 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

I have a small problem with my 2012 Ram. The "traction control" idiot light was coming on when I start the truck. If I drove it a short distance then turned it off and started it again it would go out. The last few days starting and stopped the engine doesn't always reset it.

I think one of the wheel speed sensors need to be replaced. This is a $17 part held in place by one bolt and a connector. There is one for each wheel. However, in order to determine which sensor is malfunctioning a diagnostic scan is needed. Most places charge a fortune to plug their scanner into the diagnostic port. I think I'll just keep driving it like that. The concern is this controls the anti-lock brakes....if I need to make a panic stop I don't know what will happen.

Buy a scanner.  They're cheap and the 1st time you use it, it pays for itself.  I've changed a few wheel speed sensors before.  It's a pretty simple job and a cheap part.    You don't want to be driving around with one that's malfunctioning.  

yeah i drive jug town mountain every morning at 4 too. it sucks. i have been taking 173 to the clinton gun range and hoping on 78 east from there. its more mellow of a drive. instead of white knuckling it. you have tractor trailers trying to get up the mountain and then you have commuter cars doing 100 in the left lane. so the people in the middle lane are just trying to stay alive. 

1 hour ago, 230jhp said:

I go to Auto Zone they have the scanner and it's free of charge to use.

1 hour ago, 230jhp said:

Frank stop by Autozone, they will run the scan for FREE, and give you the code.....You can use this to either search for best price on parts or just take it to a shop and show them the printout.....I did this with my commuter car, but the shop I used looked up the code and there was a computer update from the dealer so I went there and they did it for FREE

51 minutes ago, Zipper said:

Glad you did lose control and crash. Damage sucks, but you're alive and well to hunt and eat more pizza.

I was only 3 blocks from home, only doing maybe 20 mph...if I was doing 70 mph or more I might of crashed

2 hours ago, 230jhp said:

Could be a number of things happening.  This link may help you a little.  https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t46850_ds726198 

Get the code first.  Have you turned the traction control off? Noticed loss of cruise control?