IGNORED

Big Box vs Small store purchase

Tuck

After a few years of purchasing appliances from Lowes and Home Depot, I switched to an appliance store right in my town and I cannot be more pleased with the service. The prices are about $75-100.00 more than the box stores but, at least I don't have to search the store to find a snot nose kid who knows nothing about appliances. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

Very often the model numbers are slightly different--you might see (random example here) a KS3254 at your local store and online, but a KS3254HD at Home Depot, because Home Depot (and Lowe's, etc.) have manufacturers make ever-so-slightly-different versions of things specifically for that store. Part of the reason for that is that they can then say, "If you find the same thing elsewhere for less, we will match that price!"--but you will never find the same thing elsewhere, because the KS3254**HD** is only sold at Home Depot. (I am making up these numbers to show how this works.)

So it's certainly worth being cautious, because yes, there are things at big box stores that are made especially for them and are not identical to the "same" thing sold elsewhere.you're not going to get a real steel or a real John Deere at a home Depot or Lowe's! Same as I don't trust buying from Amazon. Buyer beware, price matters if it sounds too good to be true it probably is a lot of knock off come out China.

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

27 minutes ago, Tuck said:

So my wife settled on a dishwasher and now where to buy it?  Home depot has it for abouut $100 cheaper than the appliance store.  Is there truly a difference in quality between the stores?

20 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

After a few years of purchasing appliances from Lowes and Home Depot, I switched to an appliance store right in my town and I cannot be more pleased with the service. The prices are about $75-100.00 more than the box stores but, at least I don't have to search the store to find a snot nose kid who knows nothing about appliances. 

All things being equal (same model, warranty, etc...) box store all day long.  The only thing I've ever needed the snot nosed kid in the box store for was to ring me up and bring the thing to the front so that I could put it into my truck.  You can learn everything you need to know about anything you want to purchase by doing research online.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

Did the research already and models are the same.  Difference of about $50 savings at depot over appliance store.  

Hard for me to imagine that an appliance manufacturer has different standards for the same product coming out of its factory and going to different locations.

20 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

Last year I had to replace a built in double convection oven. Rogers Appliances in Flemington was $100 less than Home Depot. Installation was within two days of my purchase and was carried out by two local guys.

They have a great reputation going.I believe there going to have another location in Clinton.Ihlings appliances,another reputable guy.

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 minute ago, CJ3a said:

If things go wrong with the delivery from a big box store it is usually a nightmare.   Add questionable delivery times I will pass on using them. 

Spot on CJ.Anything to everything they use independent contractors who only care about hurry up git er done. I worked in the freight forwarding business.Part of my responsibility which one the trailer loaded up to the dock and I unloaded the pallets of merchandise upon visual inspection if I noticed damage before I signed on the dotted line I would write said to contain if noticeable damage yes! I work for a family business the eight chicolini brothers out of Newark. I would pick up appliances at places in the ironbound section if that box was damaged I declined it. That box over there I'll take that one. Never had a dissatisfied customer, I delivered and I took out the old appliances and installed the new ones. People with tickled pink and so was I for a $20 tip. So there you have it  that's my final answer two cents to the original question.

Big Box stores for me. But who cares PC Richards Prices and service sucks especially the one in Union. Can't beat the Home Depot in Union no snot nose kids most are from people in the industry in their appliance store, wood work, plumbing etc. Plus i get a 10% VETERANS DISCOUNT.  Never had a problem with a Big Box store reference delivery or installation.

Had a bigger problem with the local guy buying a multi thousand dollar exterior door that came in damaged, poor installation and had a hell of a time getting them to come back. Stopped payment and still took weeks to have them come back. With new door and told them i didn't want the same installers coming to do the second install.

Edited by ithaca10

Thanks guys.  Tomorrow I will be visiting Roger's appliance (Thanks Ken, I forgot about them), Ihlings in Clinton (actually taught his kids in high school) and then Slack's in Phillipsburg.  

Someone is going to get my business after the 3 visits for the new dishwasher now and will probably lead to a new fridge and stove down the road.

Appreciate all the info and opinions guys.  It is always good to have options.

1 minute ago, Tuck said:

Thanks guys.  Tomorrow I will be visiting Roger's appliance (Thanks Ken, I forgot about them), Ihlings in Clinton (actually taught his kids in high school) and then Slack's in Phillipsburg.  

Someone is going to get my business after the 3 visits for the new dishwasher now and will probably lead to a new fridge and stove down the road.

Appreciate all the info and opinions guys.  It is always good to have options.

Awesome 👍