IGNORED

does anyone make good hip boots anymore?

Kype

was going through more stuff i have stored in my dads shed. for some reason i had 3 pairs of hip boots that were all leaking. (not sure why i kept them, maybe wanted to patch them at some point) but got me thinking and remembering how crappy they always were. they would last maybe one fishing season or trapping season and sure enough they would tear or leak at the seams. anyone know of a company that makes good ones? sometimes its nice to throw a pair on after work and go fishing rather then getting all dressed up in full waders to only fish for 30-60 min. 

I recently purchased a pair of canvas hip boots from Scheels. They’re made like the old canvas lacrosse boots that aren’t made anymore. They have the calf strap inside to keep them on your feet and seem built pretty nicely with quality materials. For 80$ Seemed like a good deal compared to a lot of the others out there!

I researched a lot before I finally landed on them. Ducks Unlimited is the only name on the box so not sure who manufactures them. Scheels also has an amazing return policy where you can basically return anything at anytime for any reason, there is no deadline date all they ask is for customers to be reasonable. 

Most hip waders are made of rubber which cracks and leaks fairly quickly.  That's the downside.  The upside is they are very cheap compared to chest waders.  There are some good one out there, but most folks don't want to spend the $$.  Companies like Simms sell breathable hip waders, but you won't like the price.  

On top of what Mallard1100 said, keeping them inside is important because the rubber on them is susceptible to UV rays which is what breaks them down.  You can spray rubber hippers with Armor All which will help repel the UV damage, but you would need to do that a few times a year at the least.     

As B&B said you don't need to spend a lot of money but maintenance is key. Just my two cents something I've learned from my 40 + years experience in the printing industry. Rubber rollers played a major part in our presses hand bindery folder rollers. "Rubber rejuvenator"!!! Key to prolonging life! I put that chit on everything. Drive belt, automobile tires and yes rubber wadershttps://www.parts-express.com/max-pro-rr-002-145-rubber-rejuvenator-10-oz--341-462

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt