I have been hunting since I was 10,I am 56. The experience  is so different now,what was once an enjoyable experience  has become something completely different.  Aside from the states money grabbing get you for every permit they can,and the unlimited doe's that you can kill,and the never ending seasons. The fact that you see way less deer then you did 20 years ago. The "hunters" that steal your stands and cameras. The hunters that set up right next to you. All that aside, today's generation only wants to sit inside and stare at some video game. They are totally disconnected from anything that has to do with being outside or physical activity. They want instant gratification,being uncomfortable sitting in a tree with the "hope" they might get an opportunity and making a shot is something they  do not want to do. They would rather play some video game where they shoot a "person" in a highly realistic game and laugh when someones  head gets blown off. This also makes a disconnect from what a gun is capable of doing to any living creature. The complete opposite of what most of us were taught about never point a loaded weapon at anything you do not want to kill. Video killed the radio star.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mr12gauge said:

My kids tell me that their friends don't go outside because everything they need is on xbox, wanna ride bikes? its on xbox, wanna drive fast  cars? xbox, wanna shoot guns? xbox, wanna talk to all your friends? well they're xbox. it's sad.

I remember the day my wife bought my son his xbox.  That was the day I pretty much lost him to video games.  It always seemed like so much work to pry him away from it.  I did not start hunting until I was about 15 and did it with my friends.  I can't think of one of my son's friends who hunts or even fishes regularly.  I am a teacher and am always amazed at how little young people know about the natural world-sad.

9 minutes ago, Deerhunter said:

I have been hunting since I was 10,I am 56. The experience  is so different now,what was once an enjoyable experience  has become something completely different.  Aside from the states money grabbing get you for every permit they can,and the unlimited doe's that you can kill,and the never ending seasons. The fact that you see way less deer then you did 20 years ago. The "hunters" that steal your stands and cameras. The hunters that set up right next to you. All that aside, today's generation only wants to sit inside and stare at some video game. They are totally disconnected from anything that has to do with being outside or physical activity. They want instant gratification,being uncomfortable sitting in a tree with the "hope" they might get an opportunity and making a shot is something they  do not want to do. They would rather play some video game where they shoot a "person" in a highly realistic game and laugh when someones  head gets blown off. This also makes a disconnect from what a gun is capable of doing to any living creature. The complete opposite of what most of us were taught about never point a loaded weapon at anything you do not want to kill. Video killed the radio star.  

I can agree with you on the 2nd part, but in my opinion deer hunting is not the way to introduce a younger kid to hunting.  As said alot of people will being kids but not on the kids term.  Ie leave when they want dont ket them ask questions etc.  Bring them duck pheasant than turkey as you can move and talk a little until you hear a bird than try a deer hunt here and there

Five pages so far and its evident that a majority of the posters didn't even click on the link much less bother to read the article.  According to the article the reasons below have ZERO to do with the decline in hunting and hunters in the United States, which, interestingly enough, peaked in 1982 when nearly 17 million hunters bought 28.3 million licenses.  The way most guys talk about the "good 'ol days" on this site you would think that "peak hunting" probably would have occurred 30-40 years earlier than that.  

23 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Nothing is what it used to be, from available land, to costs, to free time, to the will to get off the video games, to anti hunting peer pressure, to being taught guns are bad, to the lack of deer,  to parenting.  it's all changed.

23 hours ago, deadonshot2 said:

I think part of the issue is even among those that hunt and have kids. The kids have more interest in texting friends all day than learning about the outdoors. Many families have two parents working and families do not spend as much time together as they used.

23 hours ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Honestly- the lack of respect has ruined hunting from within. We have some shitty people within our ranks that ruin it for a good number of people. 

23 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

One of the biggest hurdles I think is time. How many of those in their 60‚Äôs and older use to be able to have one one parent work and one stay home. 40 hours used to be enough to make a living for the average person. Now two adults both working 40 hours plus are just making it on average. Add to that the cost of equipment, the time dedicated to it and realistically the results and it‚Äôs easy to see where we are losing ‚Äúsome‚ÄĚ hunters. ¬†And in a time where hunting is no longer a socially ‚Äúaccepted‚ÄĚ activity kids will shy away from it. Without access to private land, it‚Äôs even more difficult for someone to begin hunting. And I blame that on the scumbags in our ranks. Having a¬†Stand or camera stolen when your trying to start out, or get a kid involved is enough to make you say F this.¬†

23 hours ago, buckhound said:

One thing we overlook when talking about the future of hunting is as Americans we are not having the kids we once had.my dads aunts and  uncles had 5-10 kids each most had 3-4 boys and they all hunted I myself only know a couple people with that amount of kids most of us have 1-3 kids. And with sports and technology the kids we are having have more choices of things to do.and then add in the indoctrination in schools and on the internet of guns , meat and  hunting are bad it’s no wonder we are losing hunters..

7 hours ago, johnyanu said:

I think kids are more interested in playing videos games then going in the woods 

6 hours ago, Livesintrees said:

I don‚Äôt think I was finished swallowing¬†my Cheerios and I was already out the door. Ring all the neighbors doorbells and we would be outside all day long. Drink from someone‚Äôs hose, piss in the bushes, and did things that nowadays would likely label you mentally ill. Be home for dinner, and back outside after rain or shine.¬† I don‚Äôt know the last time I saw a groups of kids outside ‚Äúplaying‚ÄĚ. Now they get together and stare at their phones together, INSIDE. I don‚Äôt get it.¬†

6 hours ago, Rdfhunter said:

That‚Äôs because local Aholes would call the police on kids playing paintball . God forbid kids have anything to do with ‚Äú guns‚ÄĚ in their neighborhood.¬†

6 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

Yes we are unfortunately!  Video games and lifestyle changes.  My wife and I comment every time we see kids riding bikes these days never mind sitting in a tree freezing.  However with that being said every time our group takes a youth hunting they are hooked!  So opportunity also come into play.

5 hours ago, Hitemnasty said:

Some of the responses here are pretty hypocritical if you ask me, every year some new hunters come here to ask questions or¬†asked to be mentored. What do they usually get? Smart ass responses or the things they already know (because they‚Äôre on the Internet) like ‚Äútons of good information on the internet‚ÄĚ.¬†¬†

I know this because I read the comments and pm these folks to give any advice I can. The usual conclusion from them is it‚Äôs a ‚Äútough crowd‚ÄĚ on here. I can totally understand not wanting to meet up with a stranger and take them to our spots as it‚Äôs a real thing of getting our spots burned that we put a lot of time finding or liability issues.¬†But the nasty, wise ass, I‚Äôm the funny guy looking for laugh likes¬†comments they receive¬†when asking questions is ridiculous.¬†

There may be less hunters but IMO with shrinking amount of huntable land the number of hunters per square mile has actually increased leading to more competition and frustration, coupled with a shrinking game population it’s a recipe for failure in recruitment! 

3 hours ago, Mr12gauge said:

My kids tell me that their friends don't go outside because everything they need is on xbox, wanna ride bikes? its on xbox, wanna drive fast  cars? xbox, wanna shoot guns? xbox, wanna talk to all your friends? well they're xbox. it's sad.

1 hour ago, MGHunter66 said:

Simple solution... smash xbox LOL

Unfortunately, i have heard friends say ‚Äú xbox is our¬†favorite baby sitter‚ÄĚ SMFH

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

Kids will follow their parents lead.  If they are buried in a computer inside they will be to

And then...DING DING DING...Rusty gets it-probably because he read the article as evidenced below:

8 hours ago, Rusty said:

According to the article that is a big factor.  The majority of hunters are white males and we (white males) are becoming a smaller and smaller portion of society.  

The fact of the matter is that rural populations are static and urban populations are growing.  That's not just a national trend either.  Sussex, Warren, and Hunterdon Counties are losing population while the urban and suburban counties to our south and east are gaining.  That said, I chose to live here, raise my family here, and to live a rural lifestyle.  I don't want neighbors, sidewalks, streetlights, public water and sewer, garbage pickup, recreation programs, public parks, crossing guards, regular police patrols and all of the other trappings of suburban life but the majority of New Jerseyans (and Americans) do.  How many of you live in a neat little subdivision in some suburban town?  I'd venture to say most of you.  Rural populations drive hunting and fishing license sales-they always have and always will.  

I'd venture to say that NJ experienced an "urban hunter boom" in the 1950s and 1960s-my grandfather, who was born on a farm near Columbus, NJ eventually settled in a rural part of Hamilton (just south of Trenton) and had a small farm with horses and a small truck garden, but he worked in factories all over Trenton.  In the 1950s every Tom, Dick and Harry he worked with would go down into the basement of their little Trenton rowhome, dust off a Sears-Roebuck or Montgomery Ward shotgun each fall, head down to the pines, and shoot at anything that moved for a week.  Those days are long over, and that's probably a good thing.  

Edited by Swamp_Yankee

Things are just different these days. Not all kids are hooked on electronics. Some yes. Organized sports draws a lot of our youth. So when I was a kid sports usually meant pick up games with friends at the field in Lake Tamarack. We were outside left to our own to figure things out. It’s not like that anymore. Everything is planned and scheduled and supervised. Along with that goes Saturday and Sunday games. Practices during the week. Not a lot of time left for other forms of recreation like hunting. Growing up on the Watershed hunting was great. A lot of small game action with friends and family. That’s a big part of what’s missing in my opinion. Deer hunting the way it’s done today is for the most part tough for a kid to get excited about. A lot of watching and waiting.   We may be better off just involving our youth in the shooting sports. Everyone loves that. 

2 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Kids will follow their parents lead.  If they are buried in a computer inside they will be to

That’s for sure. When my son was growing up I played hockey 3/week. I still play and so is my 29 year old son but now we play together or against each other. 

2 minutes ago, Rdfhunter said:

Swamp yankme , half the responses you quoted were In reference  to other posted replies and had nothing to do with referencing the article.  . 

Yeah but the fact that he took the time to read all of them and the article is impressive.  I didn't read all of that and it's my post.  :rofl:

11 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Yeah but the fact that he took the time to read all of them and the article is impressive.  I didn't read all of that and it's my post.  :rofl:

So he Us a hard worker but not very focu:happywave:sed 

BTW just because the article came up with its own theory it does not mean everything else mentioned in this thread is wrong. 

Edited by Lunatic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
23 minutes ago, Rusty said:

hey Waite you posted an article:headscratch:  I didnt see it.. anyway someone sounds angry :rofl:  

13 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

BTW just because the article came up with its own theory it does not mean everything else mentioned in this thread is wrong. 

That article has more hard statistical data on the subject than I've seen in one place in a long time.  I'd venture to say that it carries a bit more weight than anecdotes from an online forum.  Every time this topic comes up its the same thing "kids today...video games..."  FWIW though our kids are 8, 5 and 10 months.  There is no Xbox in our home and there never will be and none of our kids have their own tablet, phone, TV or other electronic device.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

That article has more hard statistical data on the subject than I've seen in one place in a long time.  I'd venture to say that it carries a bit more weight than anecdotes from an online forum.  Every time this topic comes up its the same thing "kids today...video games..."  FWIW though our kids are 8, 5 and 10 months.  There is no Xbox in our home and there never will be and none of our kids have their own tablet, phone, TV or other electronic device.  

Statistics will never definitively tell you why people do what they do or why they don‚Äôt. They maybe 100% right but almost everything mentioned here by others, including ‚Äúkids today ....video games‚ÄĚ had to have some effect on the decline.¬†

22 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Yup. New hunters usually start w small game.....but w what's left of the woods ....is mature forest and very little early successional habitat....this less small game......u wud figure fish and game wud see this as a major issue and manage our WMAs accordingly....because new hunter licenses are their bread and butter!

When my brothers and I were younger like 8 to 10 years old we had bb guns. We were knocking shit off the back fence every day after school. We were shooting everything in range  

So I guess we started on small game. Get kids shooting bb guns on targets early and also fishing. We did weekend camping trips with our dad. We are still hunting and fishing  together with the exception of my dad who recently passed, 40 years later. 

One thing leads to another

Edited by tcook8296
  • Like 4