Are We a Dying Breed?

Rusty

27 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I'm not sure how much this is NEW. I mean, I grew up in the arcades in the early 80s. At home, me and/or my friends had Atari 2600, IntelliVision, CollecoVision, Commodore 64 (does anyone under 30 know what any of these are, let alone played with them? :) - they were the XBox and PlayStation of the day)... We even had the first edition of hand-held games (kids today would laugh if they saw the things we'd play for hours with - Mattel Electronic Football with the flashing red dot anyone? ). I lived for video games back in the day (it's why I got into my computer programming career today - I was fascinated by the computers that video games were built on).

But I still got outside with my friends and played unorganized baseball (well, whiffle ball or with a tennis ball), football, hockey, tennis. Some fishing at a little waterhole off a local lake (which has since been fenced off - NO TRESPASSING! :() Later when paintball became a big thing, we did that in the woods sometimes. We'd go out and not come back until dark. It isn't like this anymore. Most kids (not all, but definitely way more than when I was a kid) never go outside anymore. I don't know why that is... but there has to be something that changed in the last 40 years.

That’s because local Aholes would call the police on kids playing paintball . God forbid kids have anything to do with “ guns” in their neighborhood. 

Yes we are unfortunately!  Video games and lifestyle changes.  My wife and I comment every time we see kids riding bikes these days never mind sitting in a tree freezing.  However with that being said every time our group takes a youth hunting they are hooked!  So opportunity also come into play.

18 minutes ago, buckfever1974 said:

How many people think twice about mentoring adult friends out of the fear that they will burn their spots if not right away then if they simply lose touch?

had this has happened with friends of many years that I hunted with...but I still will help someone that asks, I was shooting at my cousins house a couple weeks ago and a guy approaches us from down the road thats new to the area just walked up with his ear buds and started asking questions he had some venison given to him and liked it so wants to hunt and learn to shoot just bought a handgun and shotgun and took his hunting test seems like a good guy so we are planning on taking him coyote hunting this week if all goes well help him get his feet wet.. 

Some of the responses here are pretty hypocritical if you ask me, every year some new hunters come here to ask questions or asked to be mentored. What do they usually get? Smart ass responses or the things they already know (because they’re on the Internet) like “tons of good information on the internet”.  

I know this because I read the comments and pm these folks to give any advice I can. The usual conclusion from them is it’s a “tough crowd” on here. I can totally understand not wanting to meet up with a stranger and take them to our spots as it’s a real thing of getting our spots burned that we put a lot of time finding or liability issues. But the nasty, wise ass, I’m the funny guy looking for laugh likes comments they receive when asking questions is ridiculous. 

There may be less hunters but IMO with shrinking amount of huntable land the number of hunters per square mile has actually increased leading to more competition and frustration, coupled with a shrinking game population it’s a recipe for failure in recruitment! 

53 minutes ago, buckfever1974 said:

How many people think twice about mentoring adult friends out of the fear that they will burn their spots if not right away then if they simply lose touch?

The guy who took me on my first hunt took me to a spot he's never been to before. 

It was cool because he gave me some tips on how to find deer and now we have a spot to hunt next season and he gets to keep his best spots to himself if he wants. 

17 hours ago, bigwuhead said:

IMHO, based on the people I come into contact with through running mentored hunting programs and being an adult onset hunter myself..  our future is not in the youth.  Right now and for the foreseeable future the only way we will grow ranks is by bringing in women (of all ages) and adult men 18-40ish.

When We organize women’s events we literally have women of all ages from 18-60’s.  These women are thirsty for hunting and want to dive in head first and learn all the things and it’s great that we are now in a place to provide programs in so many different disciplines and species here in NJ.

And the second group..  are left out in droves and it’s a shame.  We have finally opened up turkey and deer hunts for all adults.  What happened was we were getting so many guys asking for it, so now it’s an option.

Hook those groups, foster them and we will get the kids that come up below them.  I have sat through a lot of seminars and presentations on this subject, read a lot about it.  There is a forgotten generation that wasn’t raised with it, wasn’t exposed to it and either now they are interested or their adultish kids are.

Well said bigwuhead!!  

1 hour ago, Hitemnasty said:

Some of the responses here are pretty hypocritical if you ask me, every year some new hunters come here to ask questions or asked to be mentored. What do they usually get? Smart ass responses or the things they already know (because they’re on the Internet) like “tons of good information on the internet”.  

I know this because I read the comments and pm these folks to give any advice I can. The usual conclusion from them is it’s a “tough crowd” on here. I can totally understand not wanting to meet up with a stranger and take them to our spots as it’s a real thing of getting our spots burned that we put a lot of time finding or liability issues. But the nasty, wise ass, I’m the funny guy looking for laugh likes comments they receive when asking questions is ridiculous. 

There may be less hunters but IMO with shrinking amount of huntable land the number of hunters per square mile has actually increased leading to more competition and frustration, coupled with a shrinking game population it’s a recipe for failure in recruitment! 

I had to miss these posts because I don't remember one single post with questions form new hunter met with smart ass responses

8 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I had to miss these posts because I don't remember one single post with questions form new hunter met with smart ass responses

I have to agree, there are many well meaning and helpful people on this site.  Of course there's going to be some chop busting but that's all in good fun.  

19 minutes ago, Mr12gauge said:

My kids tell me that their friends don't go outside because everything they need is on xbox, wanna ride bikes? its on xbox, wanna drive fast  cars? xbox, wanna shoot guns? xbox, wanna talk to all your friends? well they're xbox. it's sad.

That is sad.  

1 hour ago, Mr12gauge said:

My kids tell me that their friends don't go outside because everything they need is on xbox, wanna ride bikes? its on xbox, wanna drive fast  cars? xbox, wanna shoot guns? xbox, wanna talk to all your friends? well they're xbox. it's sad.

Simple solution... smash xbox LOL

Unfortunately, i have heard friends say “ xbox is our favorite baby sitter” SMFH

Edited by MGHunter66

1 minute ago, vdep217 said:

It really is sad.  My daughter is 2 and loves to be out side.  Whenecmver I do yard work she comes with

I doubled on does in January and the next Thing I see after telling my wife I was going to be a while is my daughter walking down the trail to help me drag them outThing 

Edited by MGHunter66

4 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

I doubled on does in January and the next Thing I see after telling my wife I was going to be a while is my daughter walking down the trail to help me drag them outThing 

Kids will follow their parents lead.  If they are buried in a computer inside they will be to