Are We a Dying Breed?

Rusty

Each year there are less and less hunters and our average age is getting older.  We are not recruiting young hunters at a rate that replaces those of us that are aging out.   Are we a dying breed?

Why aren't we recruiting today's youth?  

Is there something different that we could be doing?

https://www.outdoorlife.com/why-we-are-losing-hunters-and-how-to-fix-it/

I think part of the issue is even among those that hunt and have kids. The kids have more interest in texting friends all day than learning about the outdoors. Many families have two parents working and families do not spend as much time together as they used. When I grew up, we camped, we ice skated on the lake in the winter, we fished, we hunted, we crabbed. Families were more involved in family activities.

I think we need to do a better job introducing kids at young age ( I remember sitting with my dad behind an old junk yard in NYS at 5 yrs old for deer). Some on this site do a great job getting their kids involved early- I would bet their kids will be so much better because of it. Personally, I have taken friends kids for youth hunts. I introduced a young woman to deer hunting this past season and have another young lady ready for her first season this year. My first apprentice has two kids who are already hounding her to take them hunting at age 4 and age 6. So recruiting one person can snowball into many more. As we shrink as a group, it gives those that want us extinct more power. We need to to recruit better.  

My opinion the lack of recruitment comes from the lack of small game hunters.  Think about it how many here started with pheasants or ducks,  somthing that was somewhat constant action,  than started with a day here a day there with deer.  Today I see alot of people start kids in a deer blind and 2 or three sits with no sightings it looses them and they dont want to go anymore..  my nephew wants to come with me and I will bring him turkey hunting where at least we will be walking and he will be able to look for antlers and enjoy the over all experience..  maybe I'm wrong but it's at least my observation

Honestly- the lack of respect has ruined hunting from within. We have some shitty people within our ranks that ruin it for a good number of people. 

how many people get their stuff messed with. How many people get messed with for “stealing” public spots. How many guys are assholes when someone wants to get advice or hunt with an experienced hunter?

not saying it’s all of us but the bad apples sure do ruin it for a lot of guys. 

Edited by Hawkeye57

One of the biggest hurdles I think is time. How many of those in their 60’s and older use to be able to have one one parent work and one stay home. 40 hours used to be enough to make a living for the average person. Now two adults both working 40 hours plus are just making it on average. Add to that the cost of equipment, the time dedicated to it and realistically the results and it’s easy to see where we are losing “some” hunters.  And in a time where hunting is no longer a socially “accepted” activity kids will shy away from it. Without access to private land, it’s even more difficult for someone to begin hunting. And I blame that on the scumbags in our ranks. Having a Stand or camera stolen when your trying to start out, or get a kid involved is enough to make you say F this. 

11 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

My opinion the lack of recruitment comes from the lack of small game hunters.  Think about it how many here started with pheasants or ducks,  somthing that was somewhat constant action,  than started with a day here a day there with deer.  Today I see alot of people start kids in a deer blind and 2 or three sits with no sightings it looses them and they dont want to go anymore..  my nephew wants to come with me and I will bring him turkey hunting where at least we will be walking and he will be able to look for antlers and enjoy the over all experience..  maybe I'm wrong but it's at least my observation

Yup.  We only had 6 days to hunt bucks and one day for doe with the gun.  Actually, only got to take off from school opening day, then Saturday, and following Wednesday was doe day, 3 days. Bow was almost unheard of.  Had to hunt rabbit and grouse or sit home until December.

Most here probably won’t like my response but I will let er rip anyway ;) Selfishness is #1 reason. To get kids to hunt you have to make it all about them... most dads aren’t willing to do that and few bowhunters are interested in being a mentor. Take a kid hunting, when he’s bored... pack it up and go home. Force him to stay... and he won’t come again. Want recruitment, take them duck hunting, small game, skeet shooting etc. Grab there attention there, then start deer hunting. 

I’ve even kicked around the idea of starting a charitable donation. “X” amount puts your name in a hat. The winner could hunt my property with a youth for spring turkey.  Every penny is donated to to said charity. The more I thought about it the more I realized that there would always be one absolute POS who had a problem with it. We are our own worst enemy. The direction the sport and available land is going is a part of what made me buy land. It ensures my children have somewhere to go and experience the outdoors. 

One thing we overlook when talking about the future of hunting is as Americans we are not having the kids we once had.my dads aunts and  uncles had 5-10 kids each most had 3-4 boys and they all hunted I myself only know a couple people with that amount of kids most of us have 1-3 kids. And with sports and technology the kids we are having have more choices of things to do.and then add in the indoctrination in schools and on the internet of guns , meat and  hunting are bad it’s no wonder we are losing hunters..