IGNORED

Appliances Aren't Made Good These Days

BHC

I remember growing up they would last forever. 

When we did our kitchen over 8 years ago we purchased everything new, professional series 

First thing that broke was the dishwasher 7 times finally PC Richards gave us a new one, that one broke 5 times once more a new one but this time I got a different brand, the oven broke. My wife used the self cleaning mode, came home smelt a burnt smell from my understand the stoves of today can't handle the extreme heat of the self cleaning mode and it could burn the wires, the refrigerator at times heats up inside, I changed both the thermostat and the motherboard everything else is working so I was told when ready toss it for a new one....Now the other day the microwave had a strange sound and burning smell, looked it up online the smell is from the electronics inside is shot, cheaper to buy new. So off to PC RICHARDS soon for a new over the range microwave. 

In my garage I have a cheap refrigerator and it works great, no fancy computer crap

4 minutes ago, archer36 said:

The more "upscale" they are more expensive to fix and have more parts. I buy "basic" appliances. Not the cheapest or the best. After 5 or 6 years if they are too expensive to fix, I trash them and buy new again. 

I agree, but most are computerized in some way or another, and or at least digital read outs

I agree 100%, BHC.  I just can't get used to this new norm. My wife tells me to not get pissed off and just accept it. lol

I still try to repair my appliances myself, but some of the replacement parts become unavailable after not too many years. 

Another example … two years ago we replaced our over-the-range microwave. We liked the old GE model, so I bought the same one again. Same exact model number, looked exactly the same. But, when my son and I started to do the swap out … immediately we saw how much lighter the new one was. And, the how flimsy the door felt, etc. 

The old one was actually built by GE. The new one was built by the Chinese company that bought out GE's appliance business. 

And, the new one was dead out of the box. Had to go back to Lowe's and get a replacement. Now, last month …  I had to open it up and replace the turntable motor already. Pisses me off.

Rant over.

51 minutes ago, archer36 said:

The more "upscale" they are more expensive to fix and have more parts. I buy "basic" appliances. Not the cheapest or the best. After 5 or 6 years if they are too expensive to fix, I trash them and buy new again. 

I had the repair guy to my house last week to fix my Samsung dryer for the second time in 6 years.  I asked what was the appliances he saw with the least issue and he said buy the cheapest that you can find because they ALL are falling apart withing 5-7 years.  He said it will save me money in the long run.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

24 minutes ago, BHC said:

Repair guy I know says Samsung appliances are the worst

You don't have to tell me. We had the matching washer that  was one of the models that literally blew up sending schrapnel into people.  We were flooded with Hurricane Sandy and had to replace all of our appliances at once.  Samsung strung us out and tried to then say after owning it more than 6 months and havin an issue with it for more than 4 of them that it was no longer warrantied.  There US Corporate Office is in Ridgefield Park NJ.  I went to HS there and knew exactly where they were located after wasting over that 4 months about 40 hours on the phone and having to take 4 days off for someone to try and fix it. It would work for a couple days and then come apart again.

When they pulled this BS I told them that I was going to call all of the news outlets since I was a victim of Sandy and that they were taking advantage of people like me. I would be dropping off the washer the next day at 8 am when they opened. I then told them exactly where their office was located and suddenly I got a manager who was willing to give me a prorated refund. I told them that wasn't satisfactory and then they offered my the full price . I told them I wanted the tax too. They said no. I said see you in the morning and they agreed to refund the full cost to me. I will never buy another appliance from them again. 

Edited by Farmingdales Finest

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

The companies do this on purpose. Works for a few years and starts breaking down. After a while, you need to buy a new appliance. More money for that particular customer. My in-laws have a refrigerator in their garage that has been working for 20 years already. They just don't make them like they used too. Cars too.