IGNORED

NAFA bankruptcy

mazzgolf

Trappers know about this? They are still operating, but it doesn't sound good - announced 3 months ago:

"At this time, it is unlikely that NAFA will conduct its own auction in March 2020 for either wild or ranched fur."

See:

http://www.unifiednewsgroup.com/stoughton_courier_hub/news/local-fur-giant-goes-bankrupt/article_4156b3cc-0e51-5e52-973d-c9fdf4533c7e.html

https://www.nafa.ca/?reg/ccaa_message.html

Old news. It's been going for quite some time. All my furs that were held at NAFA are now going to be auctioned through Fur Harvesters Auctions. Ain't many guys from NJ that ship their furs and probably less of them on here.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 minutes ago, rgw said:

Kind of feel bad for the FHA shippers now because that auction will be flooded

I may end holding my fur again

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I've been doing a lot of reading up on trapping - I realize I'm not ready to start yet, but... just learning a bit more. I don't want to be caught off-guard when I do start (WHAT? I have to get rid of the carcass after I skin and flesh?? ;) )

How did this NAFA (and I guess FHA is the same kind of thing?) work? What's the process?

IIRC, some of you were saying there was a local auction at Space Farms last year. That is different than FHA and NAFA right? Do you ship your fur to FHA and they auction it off and take a cut? What about the fur that doesn't sell?

I won't be doing trapping "for the money" - I realize the fur market is depressed - but obviously, gotta do something with the fur when you are done preparing it.

27 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I've been doing a lot of reading up on trapping - I realize I'm not ready to start yet, but... just learning a bit more. I don't want to be caught off-guard when I do start (WHAT? I have to get rid of the carcass after I skin and flesh?? ;) )

How did this NAFA (and I guess FHA is the same kind of thing?) work? What's the process?

IIRC, some of you were saying there was a local auction at Space Farms last year. That is different than FHA and NAFA right? Do you ship your fur to FHA and they auction it off and take a cut? What about the fur that doesn't sell?

I won't be doing trapping "for the money" - I realize the fur market is depressed - but obviously, gotta do something with the fur when you are done preparing it.

Space Farms would be termed selling locally although it is an auction. It's local because you aren't shipping it. You bring the fur, they grade it and then sell it. Of course they take a commission for their role you get the rest.

NAFA and FHA furs need to be shipped. They have regional pickups if you have an account. Fur is graded, auctioned, or held if it doesn't sell. Checks are mailed minus commissions and shipping fees. I have sold both ways and there are pros and cons with both.

N.J has some good fur, Beavers,coon and rats seem to sell well at the international auctions. Not so good for our fox and coyotes. Just my opinion. Still a couple local buyers in the state besides the space farm sales. To me its a crapshoot. One sale maybe be better than another but you never really know till after the sale. If you are a new trapper sometimes a local buyer can help you with your fur put up if your not doing the best job. Most trappers are always willing to help a new guy in the fur shed.

With all of the uncertainty in China due to the deadly virus. Which is where most of the raw fur ends up for retail production, it is anybody guess where the fur market will be in the spring (May I believe)when FHA has their big sale. Plus all of the hold over fur at NAFA is being auctioned at the same time at FHA as well. The market may be flooded at the May FHA sale. With that being said, I am bringing all my fur to the Space Farms auction in March. I believe it is better option to sell it now than to having it stored in a warehouse in Canada for who knows how long! Yes there is a commission at Space Farms, but it is collected by the New Jersey Trappers Association. And that money is used to promote trapping in New Jersey. I would rather pay the NJTA the commission than someone's salary at FHA.

Edited by trapoholic