14th annual Fly Fishing trip - the Trout Louts

Bucksnbows

For the past 14 years, I've led a questionable group of fly anglers (and world class guys) to the upper Delaware River to stay at the West Branch Angler Resort in Hale Eddy on the banks of the West Branch.  This year's group was an enormous group of 23 that stayed in 5 cabins and two nearby houses.  The fishing was very tough due to a lack of warmth and insects hatching, but we did manage some beautiful wild brown and rainbow trout and often on dry flies, the pinnacle of fly fishing (IMO).

Here are my "Trout Louts":

Sitting around the campfire telling lies about the day's fishing......

P1000205.JPG

One of our newbies that drove up from NC with his own drift boat.....

P1000195.JPG

My friend Agust, quietly contemplating why the bugs weren't hatching.  He sits on our NJ Fish & Game Council...

P1000203.JPG

The Louts are also some world class drinkers in camp and sometimes on the water....

P1000206.JPG

This gets us through the 5pm Martini hour in the Home Pool near the cabins each night.  Stuffed olives?  Pickled onions?  Some of both?

P1000199.JPG

Sometimes we catch a few fish.....

P1000198.JPG

P1000196.JPG

P1000197.JPG

MAN DOWN, MAN DOWN!!! :)

P1000200.JPG

Some beautiful water on the lower East Branch where a good friend just retired to.  Can't wait to fish this when the bugs are popping strong in a week or so.

P1000204.JPG

And so ends our 14th consecutive year on the upper D.  We're booked for # 15 for the same time.

Awesome pics Brian!  Looks like you guys had a great time!  Shame this spring has been so cold stunting the hatches, but still some real nice browns caught! :up:

I got a huge rainbow to eat my dry fly, but didn't connect.  I found some great rainbow water that I've never fished that is on land my buddy owns, so I'll be back there soon!  The big browns were elusive as we mostly caught them 18" and under this trip.  In my 13 years going (I missed year # 1 when our daughter was born), this was my toughest fishing trip up there.  We usually have one or two break out days, but not this year.  Still a great group to spend 4 days with!  The laughs are many and often :)