IGNORED

make me feel better about flying

Kype

I avoided flying for most of my life and it is one of my only regrets. I missed out on a lot. In the last five years I’ve become quite the  frequent flyer. Here’s what you do until you get use to it. Get a prescription for a pill from your Dr, then load up your phone with classic rock, hard rock fist pumping  songs that makes you feel like a bad ass., it’s almost impossible to to act/feel like a wuss while listening to great hard rock driving songs.. As soon as you get to the airport put your headphones on and just check out... don’t talk or listen to anything other than the songs. Go to that other place in your mind avoiding all the sounds associated with airplanes and airports. Don’t even listen to the flight attendant explaining how to use your seat as a flotation device, it’ll only make you freak!  I know it sounds ridiculous, but it works.  it’s what I did to overcome the fear of flying. Just walk on the plane with your tunes cranking in your headphones and take your seat And Just sit back and try to relax. In a few minutes it’ll level off, they’ll serve you a drink and a snack  and you’ll begin to relax and start to enjoy it. Good luck, your going to be fine. 

I flew today actually. All depends on your fear. I get easily sick on boats so my biggest fear is getting sick on a plane. And yup I have. So I now use the patch behind the ear from the dr to help.  I maybe fly once a year. Not afraid of anything happening like others said safe than a car.  But to ease your mind. My buddy took a flight class about carrying a gun on a plane because of his job as a dea agent. Some fun facts I learned hopefully I have the numbers right.  God forbid something happens a plane can fly with one engine. In the majority of the US if they need to land quick you are no more than 20 mins from an airport when flying.   I don’t drink on planes because the notion sickness but I agree with the headphones. Or even watch a movie. I still hate it but it’s really not bad. 

Edited by mike033089

11 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

never had an issue flying but almost got killed on 280 East last week when a tractor-trailer decided to sideswipe me when I was in the right lane and he was in the left.   Car is totaled.   JM Swank Trucking....  Flying is much much safer 

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG

JM Swank trucking, JM towing...looks like ol' JMs' got a monopoly going over on 280.

14 hours ago, Kype said:

i was told today i need to fly to chicago for work training. i only flew once to florida as a kid. havent been on an airplane in over 25 years.

i will admit and not affraid to. i dont get how something that big gets in the air. and to be honest im freaking out over here about doing it. second week in march i need to go for a one week training class. 

whenever i needed to go somewhere far i just drove. not an option here.:shakehead:

I fly regularly and it's my biggest fear without a doubt. Liquid courage is a blessing

Seats near the wings and morning flights tend to be less turbulent

Edited by ModernOutdoorsMan

Statistically speaking the drive to the airport is exponentially more dangerous than the flight.  I absolutely hate flying, not because I'm afraid but rather because it is the single most miserable form of travel known to man.  Between the airport parking, the overzealous security screening, endless waiting, and getting packed like cattle into an aluminum tube full of people elbowing you, kicking your seat and coughing and sneezing on you I'll happily drive or take a train anywhere.  If its across an ocean I'll just stay home.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

I was getting on a plane once and seen black smoke rolling out of plane. I said something and was told it was normal. Boarded plane 10 minutes later we had to unboard due to a oil leak. Moral of the story, don't let them tell you black smoke is normal, those things are a giant paper weight

17 hours ago, formakos said:

After flying for the Navy for 8 years and then for TWA for 30 years, I can assure you flying is much safer than driving.  Sit back, relax and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!

That is a great career you had both in the Navy and TWA.  That is way up there with as cool as it gets. :up:

Once in the terminal as you get the green light to board and you get cold feet.Start yelling ALLAH IS GREAT.Trust me you won't have to worry anymore bout flying. Problem solved.lol

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt