IGNORED

Do you compensate your POA for ducking the string?

supr78nova

The only time a deer evaded my arrow is about two years ago. I was emerging from the woods and standing at the edge. A Doe was standing in the open and saw me. It was fairly dark and I was against a dark back round. The deer was on high alert. As soon as I shot (crossbow), the deer dipped and spun. I saw the lighted nock go right past her, not under her. Never had one come close to evading my arrow before due to their intentional movement to do so. 

Edited by archer36

27 minutes ago, ModernOutdoorsMan said:

Not to hijack this, do you guys compensate for being up elevated in a stand? 

i never practice from elevated stand and the angle always throws me off. 20 yards never looks like 20 yards when your 12 feet up

Bend at your waist and you wont have an issue.  Keep your form.  By lowering your arm instead of bending at waist you will change your poi

Edited by vdep217

31 minutes ago, ModernOutdoorsMan said:

Not to hijack this, do you guys compensate for being up elevated in a stand? 

i never practice from elevated stand and the angle always throws me off. 20 yards never looks like 20 yards when your 12 feet up

like vdept said bend at your waist and always aim for where you want the arrow to exit

How fast is your bow?  At 300 FPS and 30yds the arrow theoretically makes impact in .3 seconds. Actually a little longer because the arrow is slowing down during flight due to gravity and wind resistance.

The question is can the deer react in that amount of time?

22 hours ago, archer36 said:

The only time a deer evaded my arrow is about two years ago. I was emerging from the woods and standing at the edge. A Doe was standing in the open and saw me. It was fairly dark and I was against a dark back round. The deer was on high alert. As soon as I shot (crossbow), the deer dipped and spun. I saw the lighted nock go right past her, not under her. Never had one come close to evading my arrow before due to their intentional movement to do so. 

Interesting point. The deer's ability to jump the string is proportional to the level of alertness. If the tail is active it's a good idea to wait for it to calm down.

4 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

I try to keep my shots within 20yds as well. I do have 30&40 yard pins on my bow. However, I once shot a deer at 40 yds. It didn't jump the string st all

I do not shy from long shots and have killed deer up to almost 60 yards. Most of the time I  set up at least 30 yards from where I think deer may materialize and prefer 40 yards, which is hard to do because of obstructions. My experience tells me deer do not react the same way on close shots vs long distance. WHen the hear your bow from 15/20 yards the reaction is instant and I see them attempting to flee almost instantly. On long shots when they know the noise is not in their immediate vicinity there is no panic, they raise their heads and look in direction of the incoming.  

Short answer.. yes.. sometimes..

I need to with my recurve, but yet I dont.. and I shoot over the back of alot of deer at 15 yards... for some reason, at full drawx my brain tells me they are close and calm...they wont duck.. but 100% they do duck and then I kick myself because I know better.

Wit my compound I dont techically aim low.. I aim right on, but I set my 1st pin for 0-30yards. 1 pin. Hits 1" high at 10 yards (which is fine) and drops 2" low at 30 yards (which accounts for their duck which usually happens at 20 yards - 40 yards..
But I've also shot plenty of deer at 50-80 yards and they never duck.. seems that once they are 50+ the sound of the bow doesnt spook them to the point they duck. (Early season before they are spooky)
Late season they are high alert and sound travels loud with no leaves on trees and cool crisp air

26 yards on a late season deer with head down (which let's them duck faster) I can definately agree you oughta aim a tad lower and back to catch the lungs. The more fwd you aim the more they drop.
That being said .. 3" low is all.... you would have probably backstrapped him being you clean missed so I'm wondering if you also missed your mark high in combination of the deer ducking..

Anyways- theres always next time. Good luck! Dont let it get in your head or you will shoot low next time lol.

Gl

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

7 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

26 yards on a late season deer with head down (which let's them duck faster) I can definately agree you oughta aim a tad lower and back to catch the lungs. The more fwd you aim the more they drop.

This.  I watched a whole analysis of this (can't recall where I saw it), but they concluded that when a deer is head up, all it does is 'fall' to coil up its legs and then run off.  So, it is truly just dropping.  But, when it's head is down, it whips it's head up which lets it coil up quicker and "drop" faster....  

So, if you are going to change POA, consider head up vs. head down and alert vs. calm......

I don't change POA becuase I hunt with a xbow and we all know deer can jump the string at 400 FPS :)....just joking....i don't want to star that "getting an itch" thread again.....

1 hour ago, dlist777 said:

This.  I watched a whole analysis of this (can't recall where I saw it), but they concluded that when a deer is head up, all it does is 'fall' to coil up its legs and then run off.  So, it is truly just dropping.  But, when it's head is down, it whips it's head up which lets it coil up quicker and "drop" faster....  

So, if you are going to change POA, consider head up vs. head down and alert vs. calm......

I don't change POA becuase I hunt with a xbow and we all know deer can jump the string at 400 FPS :)....just joking....i don't want to star that "getting an itch" thread again.....

Are you telling him to wait for deer to be alert:shock: