supr78nova

Do you compensate your POA for ducking the string?

I never have. I can think of two big bucks I sure wish had ducked as my arrow zipped harmlessly under their heart. 

• Like 1

From the ground I always pick a spot 1/3 of the way up the body, in line with the opposite front leg.  I want it to go through the opposite shoulder, not behind it.  That drops them quick.  

1:2 - 4.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rusty said:

From the ground I always pick a spot 1/3 of the way up the body, in line with the opposite front leg.  I want it to go through the opposite shoulder, not behind it.  That drops them quick.  

1:2 - 4.jpeg

But what if his opposite leg is forward in step? Or behind in step? Or he only has one front leg? LOL

ACDAC299-EC93-4D50-BE24-29D53D4561AB.thumb.jpeg.3d5964231b245d8e9c1b92a340be1a42.jpeg

• Haha 2

Aim for the heart and all will end good with a heart shot or if they duck some it will be double lung. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

NO. In all my 40+ years of bowhunting, I can only attribute one miss to "ducking" or "evading" the arrow. I shoot center mass (lung). Leaves a little room for error. 

Edited by archer36
  • Like 1

Does your bow make any loud noises on release?  Do you know how many fps?  

11 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

Does your bow make any loud noises on release?  Do you know how many fps?  

We had several threads on this before and we looked at actual math behind this and it is very unlikely, IMO impossible, for deer to duck the arrow at this distance. Most likely deer had a visual cue just before the shot and it gave him enough time to react for a clear miss. Sound is too slow to trigger this type of reaction at 26 yards, IMO.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

We had several threads on this before and we looked at actual math behind this and it is very unlikely, IMO impossible, for deer to duck the arrow at this distance. Most likely deer had a visual cue just before the shot and it gave him enough time to react for a clear miss. Sound is too slow to trigger this type of reaction at 26 yards, IMO.

I was thinking the same.  Maybe the shot was higher than he thought? 

3 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

I was thinking the same.  Maybe the shot was higher than he thought? 

I agree because complete miss would require very deep drop in very little time. Its most likely a combination of visual cue, or even some other noice he made before the shot, and somewhat higher shot.

I was aiming for a double lung shot, not for the heart, so it would have been a bit higher to start off. There was another deer that was standing about 15 yards from the blind that may have reacted while I was focused on the buck. He was also coming in to the feeder and was very cautious and seemed to be on edge before the shot,, but had his head down feeding at the time the shot went off.
I was thinking along the same lines that there's no way for a deer to duck at such a short distance, but it seems there were other factors at play. I think next time I will aim for the heart, so if he ducks I'll still get lungs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, supr78nova said:

had his head down feeding at the time the shot went off.

Deer can drop a lot faster when their heads are down.  They throw their head up, which acts as a counter weight, causing their bodies to drop faster than gravity alone would allow.  

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Deer can drop a lot faster when their heads are down.  They throw their head up, which acts as a counter weight, causing their bodies to drop faster than gravity alone would allow.  

I wish I would have known that earlier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Plenty of slow motion video showing they have no problem  getting out of the path of an arrow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Plenty of slow motion video showing they have no problem  getting out of the path of an arrow.

Mathematically it is impossible and the video does not show or can show movement of the hunter or addition noise alerting deer before the shot.
This is my last post on it since we already exhausted this topic before, We will have to agree to disagree,

5 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I never have. I can think of two big bucks I sure wish had ducked as my arrow zipped harmlessly under their heart. 

Most of my misses are low as opposed to high. But I very rarely miss. LOL

• Haha 1