Jump to content
supr78nova

Do you compensate your POA for ducking the string?

Recommended Posts

I took a 26 yard shot with my compound bow from a ground blind last night at a real nice 8 point. I noticed that the buck dropped a good 8 inches or more and the arrow went right over his back (lodged in the tree right behind him and the shaft was clean). There was no wind and you could've heard a pin drop where I was hunting yesterday.

 

Do you guys intentionally aim lower expecting the deer to duck the arrow?

 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't.  But I've never taken a shot over 20 yards.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never compensated for if a deer is going to duck or not but I tend to aim lower than others to begin with. My POA is pretty much the red dot every time. If the deer is more broadside, I'm moving that red dot forward about an inch or 2 and blowing through the soft spot of the front leg, taking out the heart. Leaves room for if a deer does duck.

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 7.31.24 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't but I never had one jump it and at 26 yards I would not even think about it.

 

Edited by Lunatic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont compensate for deer dropping on a shot. 

I used to aim lower for heart shots , now after many years Im middle of the body for a double lung. They may run a little further but they are dead. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tbryant said:

I've never compensated for if a deer is going to duck or not but I tend to aim lower than others to begin with. My POA is pretty much the red dot every time. If the deer is more broadside, I'm moving that red dot forward about an inch or 2 and blowing through the soft spot of the front leg, taking out the heart. Leaves room for if a deer does duck.

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 7.31.24 PM.png

How about now?  

Yes it's the same deer.  :D 

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 7.44.30 PM.png

Edited by Rusty
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

I dont compensate for deer dropping on a shot. 

I used to aim lower for heart shots , now after many years Im middle of the body for a double lung. They may run a little further but they are dead. 

Good way to Aim. You give yourself room fir errors in all directions 

Edited by Lunatic
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rusty said:

How about now?  

Yes it's the same deer.  :D 

865914445_ScreenShot2020-02-10at8_02_57PM.thumb.png.3b4a6cd37ec1a40ae9a566be38b28861.png

Lol I should've given you the proper credit for that pic. Remember saving it a few years back and have used it to help a lot of newbies and their shot placement. As far as the new pic, the new red dot is my ideal positioning. Absolutely love a slight quartering away 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tbryant said:

Lol I should've given you the proper credit for that pic. Remember saving it a few years back and have used it to help a lot of newbies and their shot placement. As far as the new pic, the new red dot is my ideal positioning. Absolutely love a slight quartering away 

IMO the shot should be about 3 inches back from there at that angle,

Puts it out the offside at the spot you selected

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tbryant said:

Lol I should've given you the proper credit for that pic. Remember saving it a few years back and have used it to help a lot of newbies and their shot placement. As far as the new pic, the new red dot is my ideal positioning. Absolutely love a slight quartering away 

I was only busting, if it's on the interweb it's fair game.  

That's exactly where I aim on that shot too.  I like to punch through the opposite shoulder, they don't go far.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not compensate for deer dropping,  my guess would be you took a shot at a deer all ready on edge.  On the opposite end the last deer I killed was at 12 yrds I had my hha at 25 not realizing till I drew so I did aim a little lower than I normally do. But I hit exactly where I put the pin.  Result was a great blood trail and a dead deer within 70 yrds but I was on the edge with no room for error any lower.

20200110_104652.jpg

20200110_104658.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 yards. Even aiming center mass- hard to have a complete miss. 
 

deer staring at you when your shot? Chance he jumped before even release?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.  Only once did a deer duck my string, decades ago with a slower than molasses bow.  I was only 8ft up standing on a limb, and the deer was right next to the tree.  It saw me a split second before I released and dropped to the ground before the arrow traveled 10ft.  I couldn't believe how fast that deer collapsed to the ground.  With most bows today, even if they react to the sound of the string or arrow, the arrow is already there if shot within 20 yds.  You will never know if they will drop, jump, or not move at all with longer shots.  Best not to chance longer shots if they are alert to you and spring loaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...